The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain with a French Press Coffee maker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #31
BuffaloSabresBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasherb View Post
Everyone should get one of these. There is no better home-brewed coffee than from a French press.
Exactly. And that is why like this system so far. I already had the equipment so $0.00 investment. And if your thinking about getting a new coffee maker not only will it make awesome coffee it can also make awesome beer. Try that with your Mr. Coffee!
(I find the fro simile very under utilized)

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #32
Strober
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsnake View Post
For the price of that you could make a small cooler mash-tun for cheaper.

I did see a Bodum glass, 48oz press for $40.
Sure, but I do want to make coffee when I invest in my mash tun, so in my situation, it works out.

Primary 1: EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (first AG woot!)
Secondary 1: Pliny the Elder Clone (ver. 1)

Up Next: "Cabin" Stout (coffee stout)

Old 10-31-2008, 09:15 PM   #33
Bigsnake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strober View Post
Sure, but I do want to make coffee when I invest in my mash tun, so in my situation, it works out.
Then it's probably worth it then Just wouldn't buy one JUST for a small mash tun. I kind of am liking the idea of a couple gallon mash tun for 1 gallon batches of beer.

I also have an assortment of coffee making devices. Beer and coffee are my drinks of choice.

Now that I'm thinking about it. A Toddy maker would be a great mash tun! It's the big white thing in the pic below. Just have to find a way to insulate it. Can pop the plug out of the bottom and have it filter out the bottom!!! Only problem is the filter they use is pretty thick and you'd probably get a stuck sparge. Could possible cover the bottom with a small mesh screen like a false bottom.

6g Better Bottle: Belgian Abt 12 Style
Kegged: English Barleywine, debaniel's Bananas Foster
Bottled: Dude's Fat Tire Clone, Belgian Pale Ale, Orange Blossom Mead

Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #34
BasementBrewmistress
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's a bit early yet...do I understand correctly that you could use any coffee-making device with grains as long as the grains are fine ground? And I like the idea of espresso machine shots!

Old 10-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #35
ReuFroman
Never enough brew gear money.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This is interesting I make a press of coffee everyday and was thinking this is like mashing all grain. Glad your experimenting with it. I should get some grains and experiment a little.

Any thoughts on an vacuum press for ag? I need to see if there is a video for it.

--------------------
It's ok to stare at my kegs! Just don't touch them!

Old 03-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #36
MT2sum
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just wanted to throw this into the conversation - My wife and my son both use French Presses for Coffee. There is an insulating wrap that is made for an "As Seen on TV" 'noodle cooker' that fits our 32 oz. French Presses perfectly! You can see pix of it here (old website link - click on the "proceed to destination link") and here So far, she has found three of the wraps in the thrift store for about $.25 each, one w/ noodle cooker - they originally cost about $20.00 new!. The wraps are Royal Blue and have velcro to hold them in place. We both have a 4 cup size French Press. My son hasn't been able to find any wraps in the thrift stores where he lives in Tennessee, but they seem to be plentiful here in Montana.

Since I am interested in learning to homebrew (the wife makes our wine), I'll be getting a French Press soon. I'll be making my beer in my van as I travel around for work. Hmmmmmm ..... I wonder if a Primary and/or Secondary 1 gallon jug with an airlock can be considered an open container

Last edited by MT2sum; 03-25-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:48 AM   #37
dragonlor20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

FYI, Ikea also sells coffee presses... They go cheap, like 10 bucks or less.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #38
MT2sum
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IF you are the type that goes to thrift stores (like my wife and I are) keep an eye out for a blue item that has velcro on each edge - about as tall as your Bodum - and about a wide as it is tall. We have two French presses, and have found two of these wrappers at different thrift stores .... they fit the press just right, and keep the coffee warm for quite a while. We paid about 2 bits each for them. For a pic of them see the links in my post above
Just my 2 centavos ........

Always looking for recipes for Stouts, IPA's, Porters etc.
"The Mo' Bitter, the Mo' Better!"

Quick Reply