Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All grain equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #21
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
Ok. You convinced me....im returning everything and going back to my cooler system. Since it seems like thats the only way.
Of course it's not the only way. You can brew any way that suits you. I'm simply pointing out that some of the supposed "advantages" of BIAB aren't much of an advantage.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #22
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think thats a matter of opinion. For me, having one vessel, with heating elements installed that i can heat water in, mash grains in and cool wort in is an advantage over having a propane tank, burner, kettle, and cooler that i have to transfer liquids into and out of.
I understand you're a very accomplished, award winning homebrewer, but like you said earlier, to each his own. Now, if after I put my new system together, it doesnt work or i cant stand it, i'll gladly come here and tell you you were right. But, in my opinion, that won't be happening.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #23
doby
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
See www.dennybrew.com for the Cheap'n'Easy system. I've used it for 436 batches. The AHA has made a video based on my system that should be available soon.
This is the cheap and easy way to switch to ag, before investing a ton of money try it. You have to remember time, ag requirers more time so its not for everyone. My self I do both but in the summer months its mostly extract because of time constrants so you may want to go cheaper at first

Old 04-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 774 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by doby View Post
This is the cheap and easy way to switch to ag, before investing a ton of money try it. You have to remember time, ag requirers more time so its not for everyone. My self I do both but in the summer months its mostly extract because of time constrants so you may want to go cheaper at first
I do all grain BIAB and find that it doesn't take significantly more time than doing extract with steeping grains. While lifting 20 pounds of hot wet grains seems like it would be difficult, it really isn't. I don't hold them at arms length for long as I set the bag of grains into a colander and let them drain there without having to hold them up.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #25
ron,ar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

I have done both BIAB and used a 10 gallon round cooler for a mashtun with batch sparging and I like the mashtun version best. However the reason is simply that I like all the time spent doing this. When I plan a brewday I always allot 6 hours for it because from getting the equip out of storage to putting it back takes that long. I enjoy doing this hobby and am not in a hurry. Heck, if I want fast beer I would just go buy beer.
Not to say that BIAB doesn't have a place in my brewing plans. I like it for smaller batches in weather situations which would keep me from brewing at all that day. I also have a 2 gallon round cooler which I built into a mash tun for small batches. It uses a cpvc manifold, an exact but smaller version of my 10 gallon setup. I have gotten up in the middle of the night and brewed beer in both the BIAB setup and the 2 gallon mashtun setup. Almost all my equip is homemade also, which adds to the enjoyment of the hobby, it's something I did myself.
But in answer to the OP question, I wouldn;t buy a grain mill just yet, you may decide AG is too much trouble and decide to stick with extract/partial grain.
Also with AG you will need a bigger pot, and a big enough burner to heat more water. Don't try to skimp on these two items, they make AG easier if you enough capacity and the means to heat quickly.
As far as rigging a cable and pully in the garage.....I picture in my mind someone somewhere who has done this and tied their car to it and have a horror tale to tell us about the results....especially if they had been following the rules of relax, have a home brew...or 2 or 6 or 8...:^)

Old 04-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
samorg42
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

All of the comments about brewing equipment and methodology are interesting. A question: How do you brew in the kitchen and stay married? It seems almost impossible to get through the process without some kind of a spill. I brew outside on my deck on good days and no harm comes of it. I did have a full 6 gal. carboy break and burnt circles in my deck from a hot keg (momentary concentration laspse- sander will repair). Either of those incidents would have resulted in divorce in the kitchen. I have fantasies about turning my shed into a brewhouse but then where would all of the stuff in the shed go?

Old 04-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #27
40oz2freedom
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To stay married: brew into the wee hours and clean the kitchen top to bottom after you finish. Women like clean kitchens.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #28
ron,ar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

First wife didn't like me brewing in the kitchen, or brewing at all for that matter......maybe thats why she is the ex..
Seriously tho, the answer to not having spills, (meaning boilovers) is having the proper equipment such as a boil pot big enough for the volume being boiled, and a watchful eye. A spray bottle of cold water on hand helps and being able to reduce heat quickly helps too. Thats the difference between a gas stove and an electric stove.
I have been brewing since 2000 and never had a boilover.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #29
Ticebain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Simple answer. The wife likes the beer as much as I do. I always have at least a couple drips but I get them with a wet paper towel ASAP and I don't use glass. Only better bottles. I've never had a big spill and the worst boil over I've has was from a dme boil for a starter so it was pretty manageable. A lot of what I do is actually on the floor so that reduces the possibility of dropping something from a height and having it explode on the floor ( like a big bag o grain. Only when I am actually heating am I on the stove. Picking up a wet 20lb grain bag with a few gallons of hot liquor and a hot stove is ludicrous. Put it on the ground and use you legs like they taught us in school

Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #30
doby
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
I do all grain BIAB and find that it doesn't take significantly more time than doing extract with steeping grains. While lifting 20 pounds of hot wet grains seems like it would be difficult, it really isn't. I don't hold them at arms length for long as I set the bag of grains into a colander and let them drain there without having to hold them up.
Never tried BIAB only because I didn't think it would save time compared to batch sparging or the differnce would be small. My typical brew day with batch sparging is 5 to 6 hours if I could cut that to 3 or 4 then I could manage that after work weekdays.

Whats your typical time frame with BIAB?

Quick Reply