New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #11
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeKrizzule View Post
Look at the top of this forum for the BIAB sticky thread. Great instructions, pictures, everything you need to know.
There's an Australian biab forum too. Tons of great info and spreadsheets.

http://www.biabrewer.info/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 640 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I started all grain with a 20 qt pot that I had used with extracts, added a grain mill from discount tommy on Ebay and a paint strainer bag from Home Depot and did a 2 1/2 gallon batches. I can fit that pot into my sink for cooling or better is to put it in a plastic tub filled with water (watch that the water isn't too high or your pot will tip over). In the winter I can add snow to the plastic tub for extra cooling. My initial cost to try was under $30. I upgraded to a 30qt turkey fryer so I could do full volume boils on a 5 gallon batch but my total cost is still under $100.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Haydn-Juby
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im looking at getting this

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/biab-3-gallon-system.html

Seem good?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn-Juby View Post
It seems expensive for what you get and it's limitations. I bought a turkey fryer that had a 7 1/2 gallon pot and a burner for about $60 and a pair of paint strainer bags for about $4 and can do a 2 gallon batch or a 5 gallon batch if I want. I can do the 2 gallon batch on my kitchen stove is I want or I can take the burner outside and brew a batch out there.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
IkeKrizzule
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Northern Brewer doesn't ship to Canada. Canadian online retailers you might want to look at might be hopdawgs :http://hopdawgs.ca/Equipment/Brewing-kettles?product_id=370 or Ontario Beer Kegs http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Nine_Gallon_Two_Weld_Brew_Pot_p/9gallon-2weld.htm but keep in mind you're going to be paying around $15-20 shipping on top of whatever the website states.

That's why buying local is better if you can. I stand by my Canadian Tire pot recommendation, or if you can find a restaurant supply store in your are or LHBS that sells pots. If you do order from one of the websites be sure to add on some grain/hops/yeast. Once you get to a certain point shipping doesn't get too much higher.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab View Post
Good luck. Even a low cost system adds up quick. You could do it for 100 bucks, but I guarantee you'll notice 100 bucks worth of stuff that would make your beer and life better halfway through your first batch. 200 is feasible, you'll end up spending 4-500 at least in the long run.
This is really a brew philosophy thing more than anything else. I invested about $100 in moving from extract to AG, which I've been doing for quite a while now. The only additional purchases for me were a $20 corona mill, a $40 cooler, and a $15 braid/ball valve. I already had probably $2-300 invested at that point in extract brewing (12g SS pot, wort chiller, banjo burner, hoses, hydrometer, etc, etc), but the jump to AG was actually pretty cheap.

Of course you can always find things to spend money on. The question is whether or not you need to.
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
Haydn-Juby
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What size of boiling pot should i get to do a 3 gallon batch? Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn-Juby View Post
What size of boiling pot should i get to do a 3 gallon batch? Thanks again.
I'd suggest a 7 1/2 or 8 gallon. The reason for that is you can make a 3 gallon batch in that pretty easy but if you decide later to do 5 gallon batches they won't fit in the smaller pot and the price won't be much different.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
I'd suggest a 7 1/2 or 8 gallon. The reason for that is you can make a 3 gallon batch in that pretty easy but if you decide later to do 5 gallon batches they won't fit in the smaller pot and the price won't be much different.
+1 for this. You'll find as you go that the amount of time required to brew doesn't increase significantly as you move from 3 gallons to 5 gallons (or even to 10 gallons). You might want to start out small so that you don't end up with a bunch of mediocre beer, but eventually you'll probably want to go up to 5 gallons or even 10, depending on how many people you brew for and how quickly you consume. If you buy a 5 gallon pot, chances are you'll regret it a year from now.
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #20
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post

Ask me how much fun it is to clean up a pile of rock hard high gravity boil over off the garage floor. I tried, and almost succeeded in boiling a 6.8 gallon batch in a 7.5 gallon pot. Something about the viscosity of the wort makes the bubbles explode out of the kettle at random instead of a nice consistent bubbling like the same volume of water would do.

Quick Reply