Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain Brewing Horrible Efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #41
schiersteinbrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here is a short run down of my next brew, waiting on grains to arrive and a free fermenter.

Grain Bill:
3.4 lbs 6 Row
3.4 lbs Vienna Malt
2.66 lbs Flaked Maize
.66 lbs Crystal 60
.3 lbs Rice Hulls
.09 lbs Roasted Barley

Total Grains 10.51 lbs

Grain Temp/Mash Tun Temp 72deg (both are stored in my basement)

Heat 4 gal strike water to 170deg, pour into mash tun, allow mash tun to heat up
when water in mash tun is 168 deg, slowly pour in grains, mix vigorous for 2-3 min
mash for 60min @ 153 deg, stirring mash every 15-20min
preform voluraf 3 times
drain wort from mash tun, expected output is 2.75-3 gal
pour 4 gal 168 deg sparge water into mash tun, mix vigorous for 2-3 min, let sit 20 min
preform voluraf 3 times
drain mash tun, expected output is 4 gal

total expected boil volume of 6.75-7 gal

expected pre boil gravity 1.044

expect 1.75-2 gal boil off (it is a short wide brew kettle, and I tend to boil as hard as the wort will let me)

expected og 1.049

Does this seem correct?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #42
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Not quite. Don't time your stirring when you ma in...just stir until you get the same temp at any place or depth in your cooler. Make you sparge water more like 185. The object is to get the grain up to about 168 and 168 water won't do that. Don't let the sparge water sit after stirring it in. There's no benefit to it and you waste time. Vorlauf 3x is pretty much unnecessary. I vorlauf about a qt. or two and I'm good to go. The vorlauf doesn't need to be crystal clear....just free of chunks. See www.dennybrew.com for details.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #43
schiersteinbrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sweet...will do...UPS needs to hurry.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #44
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiersteinbrewing View Post
total expected boil volume of 6.75-7 gal

expected pre boil gravity 1.044

expect 1.75-2 gal boil off (it is a short wide brew kettle, and I tend to boil as hard as the wort will let me)

expected og 1.049

Does this seem correct?
no...
Checking these numbers on the calculator on brewer's friend link (second calculator): http://www.brewersfriend.com/dilutio...ty-calculator/

7 gallons of 1.044 boiled off to 5.25 gallons would give you OG 1.059
6.75 gallons boiled off to 4.75 gallons would give you OG 1.063

but maybe you are saying you will boil off say 1 gallon, and leave 1 gallon in the boil kettle...say start with 7 gal of 1.044, boil off 1 gallon, have 6 gallons of 1.051 in kettle, transfer 5 of these gallons to the fermenter... that puts you in the right ballpark.

I hate losing that much wort in the kettle and use my strainer to avoid it, normally my difference bettween kettle vol and fermenter vol is about 1 quart (depends on hop load but that would be for an ale with about 4 oz of pellet hops in the boil). Given this looks like a cream ale recipe I am assuming there will not be a whole lot of hops so you shouldn't need to lose that much in the kettle no matter how you transfer.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #45
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Your strike temperature also seems off to me.
If you are adding the strike water to the MLT and waiting for it to cool to 168F before adding the grains you are effectively pre-heating your MLT.
If you have a pre-heated MLT containing 4 gallons of water at 168F, and add 10.51 lbs grain at 72F, then according to my calculations you will achieve a mash temperature of 157F. If you are going to mash at 153F, I calculate your strike water should be 163F.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #46
schiersteinbrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
Your strike temperature also seems off to me.
If you are adding the strike water to the MLT and waiting for it to cool to 168F before adding the grains you are effectively pre-heating your MLT.
If you have a pre-heated MLT containing 4 gallons of water at 168F, and add 10.51 lbs grain at 72F, then according to my calculations you will achieve a mash temperature of 157F. If you are going to mash at 153F, I calculate your strike water should be 163F.

-a.
That explains why my last mash was at 157 also.
Kegged: SmasH MO/Cascade, Rouge Dead Guy,AHS Shot in the Dark, AHS Hefeweizen, AHS Kolsch, Guinness Stout
Bottled: Dead Ringer IPA, Apfelwine, AHS Stout, AHS Porter, Barleywine

Old 04-25-2013, 02:51 AM   #47
schiersteinbrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19312 View Post

but maybe you are saying you will boil off say 1 gallon, and leave 1 gallon in the boil kettle...say start with 7 gal of 1.044, boil off 1 gallon, have 6 gallons of 1.051 in kettle, transfer 5 of these gallons to the fermenter... that puts you in the right ballpark.

I hate losing that much wort in the kettle and use my strainer to avoid it, normally my difference bettween kettle vol and fermenter vol is about 1 quart (depends on hop load but that would be for an ale with about 4 oz of pellet hops in the boil). Given this looks like a cream ale recipe I am assuming there will not be a whole lot of hops so you shouldn't need to lose that much in the kettle no matter how you transfer.
I'm going if my last two sets of numbers. Pre boil vol was 6.5 gal and 4.5 gal - 4.75 gal made it into the fermenter. Some of the loss is the trub/hops junk left in the kettle, some to boil off.

What type of filter/strainer would be good to use? My fermenters are all better bottles and I have a 5 in SS funnel. Straining/filtering would probably increase my efficiency quite a bit.
Kegged: SmasH MO/Cascade, Rouge Dead Guy,AHS Shot in the Dark, AHS Hefeweizen, AHS Kolsch, Guinness Stout
Bottled: Dead Ringer IPA, Apfelwine, AHS Stout, AHS Porter, Barleywine

Old 04-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #48
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

A little unconventional but here is my strainer...
It is a 10" conical fine mesh kitchen strainer. Sanitize in pot of boiling water before transfer.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #49
snowtires
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts

I didnt read through everything to see if you fixed your problem. I had the same problem as you and I fixed it by increasing my sparge temp to about 190 to bring my mash to about 170 in my 5 gallon mash tun batch sparring. It did the trick

Primary 1 Hoppy birthday IPA
Primary 2 Citra blonde
Secondary: Do people still use secondaries?
Drinking: Beer from the store :(

Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #50
jdauria
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiersteinbrewing View Post

For measuring in and out, I use an opaque white 5gal bucket from Lowe's with gallons in half increments on it as well as liter increments.
Did you put the increments on the bucket or were they already there? You will be surprised how many times factory marked buckets are wrong. You may want to add water a gallon or half gallon at a time using something else to measure with and confirm that it matches the bucket.

Member of the Metro South Homebrew League (Mash-Holes) - Weymouth, MA

Primary - 1774 Porter
Secondary - Empty
Kegged - Amber Waves of Grain, Gourd O' Plenty
Bottled - California Common (2nd place, 2014 OSHC).

Quick Reply