Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain Brewing Horrible Efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #31
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
"Changing sparge water temp from 168-185 wouldn't affect your efficiency..."

Not exactly true. It's just a couple percent change for the sparge portion, so it's a 1%ish change overall. Not a zero impact, but pretty small overall.
Actually, the real reason I and others have seen an efficiency increase by using hotter sparge water is because it ensures more complete gelatinization and conversion of starch IMO.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 02:34 AM   #32
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiersteinbrewing View Post
I have not been checking ph level, nor have I bought test strips.My water comes from a well in west texas and is very hard water (no filtration or softener).

I should have it tested and be adding other items to achieve a better water profile.

I did read a post where they add 1-2 gallons of higher temp (180deg-190deg) water and mix well before they do their first running. Also on the same post they had a link to what seems to be an very good page on no-sparge and batch sparge, and a well made calculator. http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer.../nbsparge.html
(Hope posting that link doesn't violate any rules)
I helped Ken when he was developing that data and used to feed him my brewing data to verify his calculations. The info is good, but we've learned a lot since then. Take a look at www.dennybrew.com

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #33
billl
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 7

"Actually, the real reason I and others have seen an efficiency increase by using hotter sparge water is because it ensures more complete gelatinization and conversion of starch IMO."

With all due respect (and I have a ton for you), conversion can be measured prior to lautering, so those can be separated variables. If you aren't getting 100% conversion, a mash out into the 160s will certainly help you get there, but if you are already at 100%, then there is nothing left to convert.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #34
egravy81
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

OP I may have missed this but with the DIY mash tun are you using the SS braid attached to a single barb on one end? If so how long is the braid? I found using a longer braid (around 48") attached to two barbs on a tee helped prevent the braid from getting stuck up in the grist and improved efficiency for batch sparging. If that's a non-issue I'll defer to the other discussion points going on here but I hadn't seen any posts about equipment on the thread.

~Michael Pollan

Old 04-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #35
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
"Actually, the real reason I and others have seen an efficiency increase by using hotter sparge water is because it ensures more complete gelatinization and conversion of starch IMO."

With all due respect (and I have a ton for you), conversion can be measured prior to lautering, so those can be separated variables. If you aren't getting 100% conversion, a mash out into the 160s will certainly help you get there, but if you are already at 100%, then there is nothing left to convert.
I completely agree. Maybe I missed it....did the OP say he was getting 100% conversion efficiency?

www.dennybrew.com

Old 04-24-2013, 04:05 AM   #36
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egravy81 View Post
OP I may have missed this but with the DIY mash tun are you using the SS braid attached to a single barb on one end? If so how long is the braid? I found using a longer braid (around 48") attached to two barbs on a tee helped prevent the braid from getting stuck up in the grist and improved efficiency for batch sparging. If that's a non-issue I'll defer to the other discussion points going on here but I hadn't seen any posts about equipment on the thread.
In batch sparging a longer braid shouldn't make any difference in efficiency. If it does, then you have some other issue that's the real cause of your problem.

www.dennybrew.com

Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 AM   #37
schiersteinbrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by egravy81 View Post
Yes it is the SS braid with single barb, my braid is 24 in with a coiled SS wire inside to hold its form and keep from collapsing.
Kegged: NB Caribou Slobber, AHS Cascadian Dark Ale, SmasH Pilsner/Saaz, Bock, SmasH MO/Cascade, Rouge Dead Guy,AHS Shot in the Dark
Bottled: Dead Ringer IPA, Apfelwine, AHS Stout, AHS Porter, Barleywine

Old 04-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #38
Denny
Recipes 

I don't see any problem with that setup.

www.dennybrew.com

Old 04-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #39
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Hey, that's good to hear!
Thanks for the good tips because it has certainly increased extraction efficiency and makes for a happy brew day.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #40
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrubHead View Post
Thanks for the good tips because it has certainly increased extraction efficiency and makes for a happy brew day.

www.dennybrew.com

Quick Reply