Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All-Grain Brewers: How long does your typical brew day take?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
bluelakebrewing
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default All-Grain Brewers: How long does your typical brew day take?

Hey everyone. After encountering my first stuck mash and having my brew day last nearly 9 hours, Im curious, from mashing in to pitching your yeast, how long does your typical brew day process last?

On a typical day, after setting up my equipment, milling my grains, filtering my water, mashing, lautering, vorlauf, boiling, cooling and pitching, Im right around 6 hours. Is this long, short, or average? I do step mashes and my efficiency sits around 78-80 and I am always spot on with hitting all my calculated gravity numbers.

Im curious to hear from other all grain brewers with similar three vessel type systems how long their brew days last. Any tricks that you use to shorten the length of the brewday and make it easier? CHeers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Well depending how much I drink and how good a job I do cleaning 4 to 4 1/2 hours. I have just gone with the no batch sparge method now though and that cuts some time off

Old 03-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

From the very start of getting all my gear set up to having the carboy in the ferm chamber and pitched it usually takes me about 8 hours. it used to be longer until I got better about taking care of everything I can during the mash and between hop additions. I like it though. If I've got good music, good beer, good food and good friends it makes for an awesome day.

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 398 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I take my time and enjoy farting around in the garage. Usually start dragging stuff out around 8:30AM and wrap up around 1ish. 4-5 hours sounds about right.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 136

From pulling the first piece of equipment out to putting the last of it away after the yeast has been pitched, it takes about 7 hours.

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 724 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I BIAB all grain brew and from beginning to bring my equipment up from my basement until everything is cleaned and put back, the wort cooled and the yeast pitched tends to run 3 1/2 hour to maybe 3 3/4 hours. I don't have a wort chiller so my wort chills in a water bath in a tub. I usually have snow to put in the tub to keep the water cold. I also grind my grain by hand with my Corona style mill.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
5B-brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I mill my grain at the shop when I buy it, so that saves some time. My water comes out the tap at close to 160° so heating strike and sparge water doesn't take too long. I mash for an hour, fly sparge for an hour, boil for an hour (on average.) I measure out hop additions during the sparge and clean out my mash tun during the boil. From start to finish my brew days usually run five hours.

In Secondary:Westy 12 clone

Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 185

It makes a differance how much your brewing, and what kind of brew rig your using and what extra steps are you doing. Like mashing out, or whirlpooling hops at flame out. But for me taking my time start to clean up about 6hrs for 10gal run. 8hrs for 20gal run

Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #9
5B-brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Question: Why does a larger batch take longer? Aren't all the steps the same no matter the number of gallons? I only do five-gallon batches so I'm curious.

In Secondary:Westy 12 clone

Old 03-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5B-brewing View Post
Question: Why does a larger batch take longer? Aren't all the steps the same no matter the number of gallons? I only do five-gallon batches so I'm curious.
I would imagine heating/cooling that larger volume is a good part of it.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply