Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All grain brew suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
newbrewr4fun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All grain brew suggestions?

I am thinking about buying a keggle for a mash tun. I would be brewing in the garage and would have the Bayou classic with kettle as a burner and for heating sparge water. Would I need a second burner? I could heat the sparge water and strike water inside on the stove. It is an electric stove though. Maybe I would be better off buying a cooler MLT? Or maybe get a two burner system.

I need some suggestions I just can't make up my mind. I really like the idea of keggles for 10 gallon batches and they aren't too expensive.

Secondary empty

Bottled
Belgian ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
blowmax10
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

where are you getting the kegs from??

Old 09-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
newbrewr4fun
Recipes 

Someone on here has a few that we were trying to work a deal out with. But hes afraid he cant ship the ball valve braid and all that as well as the keg. I was just trying to find one that was assembled. I saw some on ebay going from 175 to 230 with welded fittings and all the trimmings. I was hoping to find something cheaper.

Secondary empty

Bottled
Belgian ale

Old 09-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
blowmax10
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah - I'm trying to set up a 10 gallon system but have had no luck finding kegs to use as kettles

My lucky friend got 2 for free and a third smaller one for $5

sorry - I didn't mean to hijack your thread

Old 09-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you use a cooler for your mashtun you can heat strike water in your keggle then add it to your cooler and have your keggle free again. Your burner is also free again. I also have the Bayou Classic and it is a bit of overkill but my water is hot quick! The only place you run into a problem and need a second pot is to heat your sparge water. Once you have wort in your keggle it isn't very useful for heating sparge water. I'm guessing you still have a 5 G(?) pot from your extract brews. If you do you can use these to heat sparge water, especially if you are doing batch sparges. Best of luck. It can be done!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
newbrewr4fun
Recipes 

I could but I was hoping to brew 10 gallon batches as I brew with a partner. I was hoping to go with two keggles, one for a mlt and one for a boil kettle, but I may just use the cooler route, it's alot cheaper and I hear it may be a better option anyhow. What do you think?

Secondary empty

Bottled
Belgian ale

Old 09-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
newbrewr4fun
Recipes 

Does anyone have an opinion on this. Can I use my electric stove inside to heat up 5 gallons of sparge water and then take it to the garage, Or do I need a second gas burner?

Thanks.

Secondary empty

Bottled
Belgian ale

Old 09-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You can get by with a single burner. Heat the strike water. Mash in and then heat the sparge water during the mash. Sparge, collect and boil.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Mongo64
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There's more that one way to do this, but it's doable with one burner. I use a 10 gal cooler (often on sale at home depot) as a HLT. I heat the sparge water in the brewpot during the mash, after it reaches temp transfer to the cooler. Then drain into the brewpot and sparge from the cooler.

I know I wouldn't want to carry 5 gallons of hot water to the garage, but that's just me.

Quick Reply