Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain brew pot advise

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
dah82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All Grain brew pot advise

Hi Guys I'm a newb here

I was curious if anyone has purchased a turkey fryer for there brew pot set-up? If so, did you find the typical 30QT. pot too small? I am looking at a nice cheap set-up that would get me going. I would like to brew 5 gallons all grain using a cooler for a tun as well. Any advise and tips would be sweet.

cheers

dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1107 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

I have and use a 32qt aluminum tamale pot and make 5 gallon batches. My buddy uses the 30qt pot turkey fryer set for the same thing. Just watch the boil carefully to avoid a boilover and FermCap works wonders there too. When using an aluminum pot, make sure to boil water in it for an hour to make an oxidized layer before you use it for brewing.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 04-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
Paymygasbill77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use a modified 30qt Turkey fryer and a modified 10 gallon orange home depot water cooler to brew 5 gallon batches.

The turkey fryer pot is a little on the small side. If you collect 7 gallons of wort from the mash tun that doesn't give you much room and you are almost certain to have at least a little boil over.

I STRONGLY recommend getting at least a 10 gallon mash tun if you intend to make any big beers.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
Paymygasbill77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew View Post
I have and use a 32qt aluminum tamale pot and make 5 gallon batches. My buddy uses the 30qt pot turkey fryer set for the same thing. Just watch the boil carefully to avoid a boilover and FermCap works wonders there too. When using an aluminum pot, make sure to boil water in it for an hour to make an oxidized layer before you use it for brewing.
+1 on the oxidized layer.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Zokfend
Recipes 

I got a 50 quart aluminum outdoor cooker kit from Sams Club. I went with an outdoor cooker instead of turkey frier because some turkey friers have a shutoff built in the burner (although I've read about ways to bypass that).

I chose 50 qt because I didn't want boil over. So far so good. I chose aluminum because it's cheaper and it heats and cools really fast.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I started AG with a 30 qt kettle. It lasted me about 12 years, and I never had a boil over (but I did have to watch it very carefully). As OClairBrew said, you may want to try fermcap to reduce the chance of a boil over. It will make bringing to the boil much less stressful.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
hop_head76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I second the 10 gallon cooler. I have a 5 gallon and I've regretted not going with the 10 since batch 1. Also the 30 qt pot is like most have said a touch small but if you don't mind a little babysitting you're in good shape.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
SouthBay
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

The SWMBO got me a big 12 gallon pot for brewing for a birthday last year. So far, aside from the propane burner, thats been my favorite brewing tool. I never have to worry about a boilover. If you can find something in the 40qt range, that'd be more than sufficient. 30qt will do though.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would buy the turkey fryer and also get a 40+ qt pot. You'll use both pots, either to catch first runnings or heat sparge water. I use the BIAB method, so I use my smaller pot to mash in (smaller headspace, narrower pot to reduce heat loss) and use my 10 gallon to heat my dunk sparge water in. You could get by with just the one pot, but then you'll need to have something else to catch your first runnings while you're prepping sparge water. I found an aluminum pot is cheap and durable enough to withstand the rigors of brewday, provided you use some care.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
TMet
Recipes 

Liked 597 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zokfend View Post
. I went with an outdoor cooker instead of turkey frier because some turkey friers have a shutoff built in the burner (although I've read about ways to bypass that).
Yep, just cut the wires going to the probe and twist them together. Also, if it has a pressure switch like mine (Brinkmann I think) just push it down and shove a washer under it. I have a second pot thats much wider and wont trip the switch.

Quick Reply