The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain Blue Moon Clone Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
ButtnakedBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default All Grain Blue Moon Clone Recipe

I've seen several request for a recipe on this. Thanks to Doc on the BN, and Randy Mossier's Radical Brewing Book, I have a recipe that will astound fans of this beer. After several blind tastings, my fiends who like the beer can not pick out which beer is the orignal or my clone! Happy Brewing!

5 lb. German Pils
5 lb. flaked wheat
.5 lb acidulated malt
1 lb. flaked oats
.25 lb. Munich Malt
1 lb. domestic 6 row
1 lb. Rice hulls to aid in run off

Zest of:

2 navel oranges
2 lemons
1 red grapefruit

Add Zest at 2 minutes from flame out

6 oz. orange marmalade (Walmart brand) added at flame out
.25 oz chamomile tea blossoms (add at 5 minutes)
.25 oz corriander seed (crush with rolling pin right before adding to wort) added at 5 minutes in boil.

.5 oz Spalt 3.5 Alpha 60 minutes
.5 oz Hallertau 4.4 alpha 60 minutes

Wyeast Belgian Wit yeast, with 3 liter Starter

OG. 1.063 FG: 1.011 IBU 7.7 4.2 SRM

This recipe is for a 5.5 gallon batch

Boil is for 90 minutes
Single infusion Mash with 1.3 quarts per pound for 100 minutes @ 152F.
Sparge @ 168 F for 90 Minute

Collect 7.72 Gallons pre-boil, boil for 90 minutes.

Cool to 62 degrees F, pitch yeast (made from 3 liters of 1.040 gravity starter, excess liquid decanted. Be sure to use ligh DME as to not add to the color of the finished beer).

Keep at 62F for first 24 hours of fermentation, then let temp raise to 65F, for next 24 hours.

Following that rest, allow to raise to 72F and let fermentation complete. Failure to start at the cooler temperature will result in an awsone Belgian style wit, but will not tast like Blue Moon, as the phenolics generated at warmer temperatures will not taste like the beer you know.

Bottle condition with 4.5 to 5 oz corn sugar, or keg and force carbonate to 2.75 volumes.

This is my fourth generation of this recipe, an I can say for certain on my system, this clones this beer. It will certainly be a very close step off point for anyone to start experimenting. Happy Brewing! Many thanks to the folks at the BN that helps raise my brewing to the next level.

(This recipe yield 5 gallons, as I always leave about 1/2 gallon behind in my system with the break material.)

Did I mention I'm a new member? I've been brewing for about 14 months now; all grain for about 10. Hello everyone! I hope this recipe is as much fun to brew for you as it was for me!

Last edited by ButtnakedBeer; 09-18-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Davethebrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There is a thread here somewhere from a guy who used to work for Coors and gave very good information on cloning Blue Moon.

It doesn't use any belgian yeast. It actually uses the Chico strain (WLP001, Wyeast 1056, or US-05)

do a search for Blue Moon and it should come up... eventually.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 09-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah, I don't get any Belgian flavors from Blue Moon. Does look like a fun Belgian Wit recipe tho. Never thought of using marmalade.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Check out this thread. We're brewing this one up on Monday.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/just...ay-pics-99893/

Old 09-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
ButtnakedBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With the fermentation profile I list, you won't have typical Belgian phenolic notes any of Have any you ever tried to make this beer with WLP001 or wyeast 1056?. I tried brewing this with wyeast 1056, and it didn't come close to Blue moon. It yielded good beer, but not Blue Moon. This recipe passes the blind taste test. It is also dead on in aroma, color, and mouthfeel. My results on my system doesn't yield a beer that is close to Blue moon, it makes the beer.

Not to say you might not have to tweek this recipe one way or the other to end up with the same results on your system. That's why it takes brewers. Otherwise we could just toss all the ingredients together and the the beer would happen.

Don't be afraid to use a big pitch of Belgian Wit yeast, and ferment at the cooler profile.
As for the marmalade, I tried all kinds of different citrus additions to get the same flavor profile. I got close with the same fruit zest I list above, but it wasn't until I tried the marmalde did it all come together. Randy Mosher's book (sorry I spelled it wrong above) Radical Brewing has some great tips on brewing with things you would never think of to use. It changed my world, when it comes to recipe building, and my approach to what I taste when I drink a beer.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What do you mean by zest just want to be sure I get it right

Old 02-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
ButtnakedBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Using the fine side of a cheese grader or a citrus zester, you want just the colored part of the peeling or the zest. Careful not to grate too deep on the fruit as you do not want any of the white pith. I hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
ekjohns
Recipes 

yep thats what i thought thx

Old 02-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
Chips
Recipes 

This recipe looks awesome...I think I'll try to brew this as soon as spring rolls around and I can get back to all-grain brewing outdoors!

My question though is regarding the chamomile tea. My wife hates the stuff and seems to be able to detect it at rates less that 1 ppm (or somewhere around there). I'd like the beer to have a bit of 'floral' notes in it though. Can anyone recommend another type of tea that might be nice to add that does not have chamomile in it? I'd really like to add some Heather flowers, but they're very difficult to come by (and I don't want to pay a fortune to have them shipped to Canada).

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
ekjohns
Recipes 

any grocery store will have a bunch of different teas like orange blossom, I would try a white tea. they tend to have a very soft flavor kinda like chamomile. I would stay away from black tea and chi as those pack alot of flavor and spice. grab a sampler of white tea i think lipton sells one and have your wife try them and see which one she doesnt hate

Quick Reply