The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All grain batch disaster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
mrduna01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default All grain batch disaster

So everything about this batch was terrible. Efficiency was 61%. The main problem was once my boil finished I had a gallon more volume than planned. Not a strong enough boil maybe? Either way I filled my carboy up to 5 gallons and then pitched the rest, drew our a sample of the discarded wort to measure original gravity. What should I expect with final brew due to these issues?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I'm embarassed to say my efficiency is there regularly. In my defence, I use the LHBS's mill and it's just not fine enough. You could have boiled harder but maybe you over sparged. The beer will taste great, as homebrew always does because it has the sweat of your brow in it, figuratively of course.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

How far off was your OG?? What was the target and OG? You might have a lower ABV brew, that could have a bit less body to it than planned. At worst, you'll have about the same ABV, with [maybe] a little less body...

I've been aiming to have about 1/2 gallon left over in the kettle post boil (for 5+ gallon batches)... I was having an issue where I was boiling off too much (didn't have an accurate measure of the volumes at start or finish until it was going into the fermenter)... So, now I aim to have a bit more, so that I don't need to worry about it so much... I just need to have better control over myself and not put it all into primary anyway... A little more is good, so you have closer to 5 gallons when finished... But you don't want to fill the primary up too much, or you'll have a mess to cleanup later (hopefully not all over the walls, ceiling and floor)...

How long have you been brewing all-grain?? Either way, I'm sure you won't make the same errors as you did on this batch... Whatever the result is, you're certain to have beer... More likely than not, really good beer at that... Just come up with a funny name to dub it, in either case, and brew again... After all, it's not like you made a FUBAR batch, right?

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 02-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
509inc
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Did you check your preboil volume? I would bet you over sparged.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
mrduna01
Recipes 

Thanks for the help guys... Beersmith said to get premium volume of 6.7 gallons which is what I did. Og was supposed to be 1.042 to 1.055 and my actual was 1.044 so I guess I was in range now that I look at it more closely. So I guess if it ferments down to 1.01 I'll have decent abv. We shall see. I hated to pour out good wort!!! Also I didn't have my carboy marked so I guessed on where the 5 gallon mark was due to previous exp.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2958 Times on 1876 Posts
Likes Given: 2499

Likely you didn't calculate efficiency correctly. It is not affected by how long you boil.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
mrduna01
Recipes 

I put in the gravities in to beersmith to get my efficiency so I am assuming it was right. Are you saying efficiency is calculated before the boil?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Boiling can affect efficiency by how much the total beginning volume is reduced. Taking 7 gal and making it five and a half concentrates sugar, water boils off. You can always go get a 1" dowel from home depot and measure out a gallon at a time in your boil pot and mark them off. That way, you can get a relatively accurate measurement of what's inside.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_D View Post
Boiling can affect efficiency by how much the total beginning volume is reduced. Taking 7 gal and making it five and a half concentrates sugar, water boils off. You can always go get a 1" dowel from home depot and measure out a gallon at a time in your boil pot and mark them off. That way, you can get a relatively accurate measurement of what's inside.
+1 there... Especially if you don't want to, or cannot. install a sight tube on the pot/kettle...

I would also suggest marking the carboy at the 5 gallon level, as well as 5-1/4 and 5-1/2 points so that you know where they are... Or get some of the pre-made markers (another thread here) that will do it for you...

If you go from 1.044 to 1.010 you'll get 4.5% ABV... Obviously, the lower your FG is, the higher the ABV will be, but less body it will have...

For ABV calculations, I'd use the Rooftop Brew page instead of Beer Smith...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 02-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Boiling does not affect efficiency. Efficiency refers to how much starch is converted to sugar.

I am sure you will have a tasty brew, if a bit lighter than expected.

Quick Reply