Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain basic questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
coeceo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I boil a tea kettle when I start heating up my strike water. Throw that into the cooler once it boils and shake it around a bit, then dump it right before I dough in the mash.

I seem to hit my temps easy this way, though my efficiency doesnt seem to show it.

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
2bluewagons
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODaniel View Post
Important thing I learned about thermometers:

If you use digital, make sure it is at least 8" long. Grill thermometers have about a 3" probe. I was having FG issues, so I got another thermometer, a lab type ($5 at LHBS) and there was about a 10 degree difference in thermometers, due to the amount of penetration. They read the exact same if at the same depth btw. The digital just can go down far enough to get a good reading. Make sure whatever you get, get a long thermometer.

Maybe, but be careful here. Lab-type thermometers come in two different types: partial immersion and total immersion. Partial immersion will have a line printed all the way around between the bulb and where temp gradations begin. The fluid level should be at this line for proper measurement.

If the lab-type thermo in this pic is partial immersion, it is probably reading high.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:46 AM   #13
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hmm. Mine has a line on the back about 2.5" from the bulb before the numbers start, but it is not on the front.

Damn, now I need to get another thermometer to be sure. I'm pretty sure my digital is reading low because it can't penetrate the mash far enough, however now I'll have to see if the lab type is reading high.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #14
bigjoe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have StrangeBrew 2. It looks like it had been a while since it was relased I thought. I had to reload it on my desktop as I screwed up the 1st version I had trying to edit some file defaults. I had a heck of a time finding version 2 though.

I've checked my digital in ice water and in boiling and I'm dead on 32F and 212F with both of those. I check a few spots when mashing. I don't get worked up about a couple degrees difference. When doing brew in a bag I'd stir the hell out of it. It made beer even if temps weren't the same through out.

My digital thermo flakes out on occasion, but reads inaccurate. I stick it in the oven to dry it out for an hour on 350 works every time.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #15
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Search here for Brewtarget for another free software option. It's still new and working some things out but very active development and I have used it for basic recipe formulation and strike temps/volumes.

-Craig

Quick Reply