New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain Barley Wine Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
digdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default All Grain Barley Wine Idea

Has anyone tried to do a "double-mash" ?

Basicly you take your wort from your first mash and you use that as the liquor for a second mash?

By theroy I think it could work, and that woudl be a good way to get high gravity for large IPAs, Russian Imperial Stouts, and Barley Wines

or is this just plain dumb?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

It would work, but not very well. The high sugar content of the wort would reduce the extraction in the second mash. It is much simpler to make a big mash or two smaller ones and use just the first run wort. The second & third runnings will make a good batch as well. I'm planning on doing this with Poor Richard's early next year, now that I have a 48 quart cooler tun.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply