Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All grain apartment brewing on balcony! First time brewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
steveo929
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All grain apartment brewing on balcony! First time brewer

Hey everyone, new to the site and brewing in general. Not sure why it took me so long to decide that I should stop buying and start making a beverage that I drink more than water. Thanks for all the info on this site that I used to research for all of my supplies and brewing knowledge.

So I live in NYC and have a rather large apartment compared to most city dwellers. All of the brewing will take place on my 4'x8' balcony with the exception of using a plate chiller in my bathtub. All of my supplies have been ordered and I'm having a pro plasma through some kegs. There will be a total of 3 keggles, no pump (in the beginning), and 1 bayou burner.

I'm really hoping the system works. I'm thinking about having some kind of tier system to prevent any scolding hot water on my skin...never a good thing. Ideas are welcome and stay posted for pictures and updates. Hoping to have everything ready to brew by next Saturday, 1/30.

In case you were wondering, all keggles will have stainless steel ball valves fittings. 1 will have a boil screen for the boil keggle, 1 will have a false bottom with arm connected to the fitting, and 1 will just be for the sparge water.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
boogyman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

welcome to the site :-)

Sounds interesting.. but I would reconsider that pump. Moving keggles full of water is no easy task, unless you tier them to begin with. I'm guessing the tiering will be difficult though because of the space constraints.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Check out http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

Lots of good tips for informal brewing. Using a pitcher it is pretty easy to move sparge water. Be careful if you start stacking things to make an impromptu sculpture.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
steveo929
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips but I have a friend helping me with any water/wort movement. Shouldn't be a problem, anyways going to get a pump after a few batches probably, depending on difficulty and amount of craigslist posts titled "march pump" lol.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Might want to investigate using electric eventually. That could get you off the balcony and move your brewing inside. Careful with the LP.

Quick Reply