Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain from Amazon.com... seems really nice... oddly CHEAP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
lamarguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think it's an awesome find! I just ordered 10# golden promise, 10# munich, and 10# wheat malt...I figure it's worth a shot.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 02:01 AM   #12
rman
Recipes 

I ordered the Russian Imperial Stout kit and it arrived today. Looks to be okay. Has two very large (haven't weighed them) bags of DME, fair amount (likely 2-3 lbs) of already crushed steeping grains, three hop additions (probably a total of 4 oz.) and Safale -04 dry yeast. It said it shipped from Reno but I can't find out who really put together the kit - box says Coleridge brand. OG is 1.086 with Anticipated FG of 1.022. SRM: 38, IBU: 83.

Pluses: Good price and super fast free shipping (arrived in 2 days), appears to have quality ingredients.
Minuses: Hops are labeled as bittering, flavor, and aroma - they don't tell you the specific hop. Steeping grains are unlabeled. Unknown type of DME. Grains are already crushed - I plan to brew this wknd, but I don't know if they were crushed recently or long ago. Instructions are okay. I do full boils so I will modify accordingly. If you've been brewing a while, you will be fine, but if this is your first brew, I don't know if the instructions are adequate. Doesn't come with a grain steeping bag or sugar for bottling. Neither matter to me as I have my own bag and keg but it may matter to some.

Would I buy again? I'll know depending on how this brew turns out. I got an Amazon gift certificate for Christmas and figured this would be much better than buying a book.

Last edited by rman; 01-08-2009 at 02:06 AM.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:05 AM   #13
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post

Would I buy again? I'll know depending on how this brew turns out. I got an Amazon gift certificate for Christmas and figured this would be much better than buying a book.

I would like to know how this turns out i am interested in the ordering. I am still thinking on weather or not i will buy from amazon. If that kit is anygood... damn... it sounds really good... I wouldnt order a book either

Cheers i hope it turns out

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Well what the hell why not! I just ordered the last Russian Imp Stout so we will see:-)

Old 01-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #15
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
I ordered the Russian Imperial Stout kit and it arrived today. Looks to be okay. Has two very large (haven't weighed them) bags of DME, fair amount (likely 2-3 lbs) of already crushed steeping grains, three hop additions (probably a total of 4 oz.) and Safale -04 dry yeast. It said it shipped from Reno but I can't find out who really put together the kit - box says Coleridge brand. OG is 1.086 with Anticipated FG of 1.022. SRM: 38, IBU: 83.

Pluses: Good price and super fast free shipping (arrived in 2 days), appears to have quality ingredients.
Minuses: Hops are labeled as bittering, flavor, and aroma - they don't tell you the specific hop. Steeping grains are unlabeled. Unknown type of DME. Grains are already crushed - I plan to brew this wknd, but I don't know if they were crushed recently or long ago. Instructions are okay. I do full boils so I will modify accordingly. If you've been brewing a while, you will be fine, but if this is your first brew, I don't know if the instructions are adequate. Doesn't come with a grain steeping bag or sugar for bottling. Neither matter to me as I have my own bag and keg but it may matter to some.

Does anything have packing or use by dates on them?

Old 01-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #16
lamarguy
Recipes 

I received the Munich and Wheat I ordered in today. Both smell and taste great! Plus, they're significantly cheaper (shipped) than buying from AHS or my local homebrew shop.

I have no worries about warehouse storage because Amazon is one of the best supply chain management companies out there. They don't keep products on the shelf for long, unlike most homebrew stores.

One note - their wheat is actually red wheat, not white. They just list it as "malted wheat". I've never tasted red wheat before but it definitely has a nutty/biscuit flavor to it. Yum!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #17
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Yall better give us updates on the quality of these brews!

Also, when I viewd thier site, it said it was part of thier free shipping program???

Old 01-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #18
lamarguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Also, when I viewd thier site, it said it was part of thier free shipping program???
Yup, free shipping on orders $25 and up. I looked at my invoice; the shipping would have been about 1/2 the price of the grain. So, the savings is significant.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #19
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

I just placed a large order with Morebeer. Would have gone to BrewermastersWarehouse but I didnt see coriander, sweet orange peel or PBW there... all of which I needed. It sucks.

I am going to go play with an Amazon...

Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 AM   #20
polecreek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
I just placed a large order with Morebeer. Would have gone to BrewermastersWarehouse but I didnt see coriander, sweet orange peel or PBW there... all of which I needed. It sucks.

I am going to go play with an Amazon...
I also placed a large order with morebeer this week. BrewmastersWarehouse just looked to high for bulk base grain when buying by the pound.

Quick Reply