Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain - Aeration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #31
45_70sharps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I've had good luck with the paint mixer but I like big beers so an O2 system and doing a starter for my yeast every time is simple and it helps make sure the yeast gets a good start every time.,

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
billl
Recipes 

Liked 288 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There are obviously a ton of ways to make good beer and that certainly applies to "big" beers as well. Most of those styles were invented prior to the discovery of yeast or oxygen, let alone pressurized O2 canisters and diffusion stones.

Also, just by the numbers, shaking/splashing to 8ppm, letting the yeast eat for a bit, and then shaking and splashing some more provides just as much O2 as a 1 time 10 ppm blast.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #33
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Same here. Again, if the MixStir didn't give me excellent results, I would have switched to something else several hundred batches back.
I noticed a fairly significant increase in the quality of my beer once I switched to pure O2. The mixer made excellent beer, but the O2 made even better beer.

Point is, both methods work, both make good beer. The reason I switched is that I was able to borrow a friend's O2 setup and do a side-by-side comparison. Since they're not too expensive, the O2 systems are well worth it, in my opinion.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #34
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl
There are obviously a ton of ways to make good beer and that certainly applies to "big" beers as well. Most of those styles were invented prior to the discovery of yeast or oxygen, let alone pressurized O2 canisters and diffusion stones.

Also, just by the numbers, shaking/splashing to 8ppm, letting the yeast eat for a bit, and then shaking and splashing some more provides just as much O2 as a 1 time 10 ppm blast.
I'm not knocking you for doing it that way.
I've always used to paint mixer before. I just think that by using the oxygen and a yeast starter I am going to get insurance and probably consistency for very little effort.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #35
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Can you make good beer without pure O2? Totally- I don't think very many people at all use it. That said, if there was no benefit to oxygenating to 10-12ppm dO2, the pro's wouldn't do it. I'm not a rich dude, but $60 is not much to spend to instantly improve your beer. My ferments are faster, cleaner, and my yeast clears better than before, and I'd say that my beer was already very good before I started using pure O2.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 11-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #36
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

"Oxygenator" is on my Christmas list for Santa to bring to me.......

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 11-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #37
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 441 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Can you make good beer without pure O2? Totally- I don't think very many people at all use it. That said, if there was no benefit to oxygenating to 10-12ppm dO2, the pro's wouldn't do it. I'm not a rich dude, but $60 is not much to spend to instantly improve your beer. My ferments are faster, cleaner, and my yeast clears better than before, and I'd say that my beer was already very good before I started using pure O2.
My point of view is that we're homebrewers and not everything that commercial brewers do is necessary or applicable. Besides, it would have to be a BIG MixStir for them! And it's not like I haven't tried O2 to compare. Have you tried the MixStir?

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 11-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #38
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Quote:
My point of view is that we're homebrewers and not everything that commercial brewers do is necessary or applicable. Besides, it would have to be a BIG MixStir for them! And it's not like I haven't tried O2 to compare. Have you tried the MixStir?
I used to shake vigorously and the effect is the same. I have a mix-stir for wine and mead degassing, primarily. My point of view is that the pros do things that make their beer better and I'm also a scientist, so I like to keep up with current research and best practices. The data tells me that oxygenating to 10-12ppm dO2 improves beer, regardless of who makes it- I go with the data first. Gut feelings don't mean much to scientists, we like data.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 11-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #39
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4959 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Personally, I seldom measure my beer...I drink it. My results using the MixStir are every bit as good as friends who use O2. What else matters?
I'm with Denny. I have a MixStir, but sometimes I don't even use it because I started holding up my tubing out of the March pump from the CFC to splash and aerate my wort. I have a big foamy head on my beer when I pitch the yeast.

I'm not 100% sure that you can get 10-12 ppm o2 with an oxygen system, but I'm sure I get 8 ppm o2 with my system so I'm happy with it.

My beers are pretty good, and I'd put them against any commercial brews.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #40
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 441 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
I used to shake vigorously and the effect is the same..
I think I'd have to disgree with that based on my experience.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply