Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Grain and 8 inches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 03:27 AM   #1
AlaskaBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All Grain and 8 inches

Did my fist all grain batch on Wednesday and right when I put the kettle on the burner is started snowing. We go about 8 inches overnight. Everything went great and I only missed my target O G by .001. I broke up my sparge water into 2 batches and the runoff was still well above 1.010. I was wondering if it would have been alright to sparge again even though I had already used what beertools said to use for the sparge water? Just boil a little longer to get to the 5.5gal volume?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2007, 03:34 AM   #2
jacobyhale

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Wow, Palmer. That's crazy. I grew up in Wasilla and Eagle River. Definitely don't miss those early snow days.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Your sparge amounts are minimum water usage considering enzyme dilution and boil time. I personally don't think that using more water will necessarily hurt your brew but at the same time, I don't think you are going to extract enough sugar to make the extra boil time worthwhile. Either way, I would be interested to know what your results are. I never measure efficiency anymore, I just take what I get and that always makes good beer.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Quick Reply