Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All grain 1 gallon batches?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2006, 01:22 AM   #1
mxyzptlk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default All grain 1 gallon batches?

Most books I've read suggest starting with a mini-mash on a 5 gallon batch, but the thought occured to me, would it be possible to do an all-grain 1 gallon batch using mini-mash procedures?/

Secondary 2: 2006 Barleywine

Secondary 1: New Year's Day

Bottled: Schmohz Contest Brew, Goodwill Towards Man

http://www.geocities.com/danvkooi

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 04:30 AM   #2
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxyzptlk
Most books I've read suggest starting with a mini-mash on a 5 gallon batch, but the thought occured to me, would it be possible to do an all-grain 1 gallon batch using mini-mash procedures?/

Yes, but you need to understand that mini mashing involves the use of extracts as well, and all grain is well actually all-grain. you would need to calculate the grain being used, and then you could scale up the recipe from one gallon to 5 gallons if it turns out well. I do test batches all the time. I converted a 2.5 gallon igloo cooler into a mini mash tun, with a cpvc manifold for a false bottom, and make one gallon all grain test batches. Enjoy

Old 01-04-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
mike004
Recipes 

I'm a newbie who hasn't got all the equipment. I've done several 2-gallon AG and partial mashes.

Pros: Good for learning/experimentation. You can mash on the kitchen stove.
Cons: Expensive, lot of waste -- there is still a sizeable trub in the primary. If you can go up to 2.5 to 3 galls, this usually yields a case full of beer.

My advice is to try it.

Mike

Old 01-04-2006, 10:35 PM   #4
mxyzptlk
Recipes 

Default 1 gal all grain

I was planning on using a partial mash setup as described in "morebeer" catalog (morebeer.com I believe) whereas using 24 x 24 bags with my bottling bucket for mashing. (I have a 6.5 gallon bottling bucket with built-in spigot)
If I was going to use this setup for an all-grain batch, what would be my capacity? (Could I do an all-grain three gallon batch with this setup?)

Thanks

Secondary 2: 2006 Barleywine

Secondary 1: New Year's Day

Bottled: Schmohz Contest Brew, Goodwill Towards Man

http://www.geocities.com/danvkooi

Quick Reply