Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > All Centennial IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
JoeSpartaNJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default All Centennial IPA

So I just tapped my all Columbus IPA which I made with pellets and locally grown cone hops. While it is tasty, I think the all columbia hops is a little to grassy and earthy for my tastes. I want to make an all Centennial IPA next. I made an extract version a few years ago, but back then I used 1lb of crystal 40 and while it was hoppy, it was just too sweet. This is the all grain version I came up with. Let me know what you think.

Mash @ 150

12lbs 2-Row
3.5lbs Munich

1oz @ 60
1oz@ 15
1oz @ 10
2oz @ 5
2oz @ 2

2oz Dry Hop (5 days)

Yeast: White Labs WP001 Slurry pitched from Columbus IPA batch

Calculated:
OG: 1.067
FG: 1.010

ABV: 7.2% abv
IBU's: 67

Thanks,

Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
PSUBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The c-40 would have made it very similar to many of the Two-Hearted Clones I've seen floating around. Your recipe should be a good starting place, maybe to see how the hop schedule works for your bitterness and aroma preferences and tweak from there.

I am planning on doing a number of single hop IPAs myself, partly to use up a bunch of hops in the freezer, but also to familiarize myself more with the nuances that certain varieties impart. I will keep the grain bill the same for each recipe so the main variable is the hop.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
JoeSpartaNJ
Recipes 

The golden light LME I used could of caused the weirdness in the first IPA I made. I had no idea the age of the extract.

I like single hop beers. I really does teach you the nuances of different hop varieties.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Food for thought, you might want to switch to small batch brewing while you explore SMASH style brewing. Yes, it is a great lesson on what hops can do (and yeast, and malts) but my reasoning for down scaling your experimental beers is that it's a much cheaper drain pour if you don't like the results.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
mrphillips
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I think you chose a good hop to do a "solo-hop" beer with, but I'm not sure about your addition times. Your 1 ounce for bittering, in my opinion, is just right. There are too many IPAs that cross the bitter-to-flavor barrier. What I'm not sure about is the massive additions at the end...but no flavor additions in-between. Maybe a 2 ounce addition at 30 minutes, and only an ounce addition at 10, 5, and 2 (though - since I'm not a crazy hop-head - I might omit the 2 minute addition).

Godspeed! Happy Home brewing!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #6
carton132
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Looks tasty! Maybe one more ounce in the dry hop? It does look like Two Hearted Ale and I envy your keg setup for this one. I've probably had a hundred bottles of Two Hearted, but a really, really fresh draft pour just explodes with Centennial and is considerably different from the experience you get with a bottle that's been on the shelf a while.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 638

Just finished off a batch that is similar to this. Everyone loved it. I like the hop schedule, very similar to mine and will definitely showcase the hop. I am now doing something similar with NZ hops. My Motueka pale ale is just finishing fermenting and I will do a nelson next week.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I love Centennial in combination, but the few all Centennial IPAs I've brewed have been disappointing. FWIW my general feeling these days is minimum 2 types of hops makes for a better IPA. Centennial and Simcoe, Columbus and Summit with a touch of Citra, Amarillo + Simcoe + Centennial is my absolute favorite combination.

FWIW and YMMV and WTF etc...

Steve da sleeve

Old 11-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
PSUBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
Food for thought, you might want to switch to small batch brewing while you explore SMASH style brewing. Yes, it is a great lesson on what hops can do (and yeast, and malts) but my reasoning for down scaling your experimental beers is that it's a much cheaper drain pour if you don't like the results.
I agree on the small scale mentality, however it is just a few pounds of grain to scale up to a full 5 gallon batch, with time investment being pretty much equal. I am OK with spending an extra $5 to end up with double the finished beer.

That being said, I am starting with hop varieties that I am pretty sure will turn out well (Simcoe, Amarillo, etc). I would probably do a 2.5gal batch with the Calypso I have based on the reviews I've read.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #10
JoeSpartaNJ
Recipes 

I just tapped this the other night. While it us decent, it's not very "centennial." Doesn't have the same hop flavor I remember from a all centennial batch. Kind of makes me wonder if I got the right hops. Also, it is rather bitter for a calculated ibu of 67.

FWIW, the only change I made to the recipe posted above was all hop additions other than the dry hop were 1 oz.

Any feedback?

Quick Reply