Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > To all the batch spargers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #21
Wild Duk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just got done brewing, and from what I noticed, I'm not sure all the water would fit into a 10 gallon mash tun....I had 12 #'s of grain, mashed in with 18 qts. (1.5 qts per gallon) Drained then single batch sparge of 21 qts......(1.3 qts per gallon).

By looking at the space on the top of my mash tun during the sparge,I don't think all the water would have fit in there.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #22
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I mash in with 4 gallons every time, unless its an extra large grain bill. No mash out, collect runnings and measure. Then I batch sparge twice with enough water to hit my target volume, divided evenly. I could add it all before first runnings, or just sparge once, but I follow the advice of Bobby_M who contends that double batch sparge is the sweet spot for efficiency. If you were rinsing soapy water from a dish in the sink, it is more efficient to rinse twice with enough water, than once with a lot. Just my $.02, but I've been happy with the results.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 11-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #23
GrizlyGarou
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
This is where the calculation of conv. and lauter eff. is needed.
This might seem a silly question, but is there a way to figure the percentage of conversion efficiency, or just the iodine test that will tell me if I've converted everything?

Old 11-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #24
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizlyGarou View Post
This might seem a silly question, but is there a way to figure the percentage of conversion efficiency, or just the iodine test that will tell me if I've converted everything?
Nope, you can actually calculate the actual percentage. Then you can take your lauter eff. percentage... after doing both of these you can see where the bottleneck is (if any) in your system.

Eff. to the kettle is a dumb number, you cannot refine a process based on that #. If you can get your conversion eff. and lauter eff. numbers, than you can work on your process.

www.braukaiser.com

He has a conversion eff. chart there based on malt/water grist ratio and SG. He also has a KILLER spreadsheet that will take inputs from your brew session and give you conversion eff., lauter eff., eff. to the kettle and eff. to the fermentor.

IMHO, these numbers are important, because without them you really have no idea what you are doing. You just know that somehow, somewhere, everything adds up to 70%. Well, you may not be converting 20% of your sugars... how else will you know? Or, you may be leaving 30% of your sugars in the mash when you lauter... how else will you know?

I have been tracking these #s lately as I am starting a push toward setting my sparge volume as a ratio of my grain bill size.(which is basically the opposite of what everyone else does) This way I can reduce my lauter eff. (yes I want to reduce it) and keep it consistent by keeping my sparge volume small for small grain bills and make it a larger volume for large grain bills. I cannot do this without these specific #s.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #25
GrizlyGarou
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool.

I've read a lot of the stuff Kaiser has on his site, but it was before the two ag batches I've done. I didn't remember the part with the conversion effieciency, just the iodine test.

I think I've learned more about brewing from the people on this site than the total of what I learned in all of high school. And both times I was drinking beer, go figure...

Old 11-07-2009, 01:24 AM   #26
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
3.4qt/lb mash
You may as well start no-sparge brewing. It works fine for me (BIAB).

Old 11-07-2009, 01:25 AM   #27
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I get the same efficiency with a single sparge. Have you tried that? If so, how much did doing a second one add?
Yes I did, it adds 3-5%. Not much but it's not much more effort. It's easy because I heat my sparge watter in two pots on a electric stove. It's easier to move it ~10 quarts at a time instead of about five gallons at a time. I didn't think my beer tasted any different either way.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #28
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakins View Post
You may as well start no-sparge brewing. It works fine for me (BIAB).

Depends on the grain bill though. Right now, YOU tell the software what grist ratio you use, IT then assigns a sparge volume to make up for what is NOT in the mash. My thinking is that is backwards... because it will have you oversparging small grain bills and undersparging large ones. Which is one reason why people report lower eff. with large grain bills.

If you use a set ratio to mash, you are using MORE sparge in a small grain bill. You also then use LESS sparge in a large grain bill. Where is the logic in that?

BIAB is awesome, but I cannot do that, not enough gadgets.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:59 AM   #29
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I work with different ratios to get a manageable sparge. Depending on the grain bill it could be 1.3 to 1.6, most of my grain bills are 1.4. Keep in mind I mash out so the first run off will be closer to 2qt per lb. A sparge with 1 qt per lb is manageable, much smaller and it's difficult to stir. You need to stir until the whole mash has equalized in gravity.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #30
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
BIAB is awesome, but I cannot do that, not enough gadgets.
Nah. I BIAB with my RIMS heater. Plenty of gadgets

Quick Reply