The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > To all the batch spargers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default To all the batch spargers

I do thick mashes with 1.0 to 1.2 qts/lb, and I batch sparge. I use an additional 2.0 to 2.2 qts/lb after the mash. Some of this post-mash water is in the form of a mash out (a small hot infusion at the end of the mash, before I run anything off). The rest of this post-mash water is used after the first runnings are in the kettle, and I do one dump of water into the tun, stir, and drain again.

The amount of mashout water is determined by the goal of wanting 50% of my total wort come from the first runnings and the other 50% from the second runnings.

There have been a couple of times where I felt I was over-sparging this way.

Now... I've been reading a lot on HBT lately about people doing thin mashes to keep proper pH and doing only a little sparging, and I've been thinking about making adjustments to my own process to follow along these lines.

What I was wondering was... has anyone ever done their mash and then, before draining ANYTHING to the kettle, just dumped all of their sparge water into the tun and just done a single large runoff to the kettle?

I'm pretty sure I can get all of my water into my 10gal cooler at one time, so I was thinking about trying this on a batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 02:24 AM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with that. Of course with a single batch sparge, you might loose some lauter efficiency. No big deal as long as you hit your targets. It might be a good idea to use Kai's efficiency spreadsheet to see exactly what is going on.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It's called no sparge. There has been some discussion on it, but I'm not sure how you'd search for it.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:28 AM   #4
Walker

Recipes 

I typically get about 74% efficiency, so dropping a little would be fine by me.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:30 AM   #5
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia View Post
It's called no sparge. There has been some discussion on it, but I'm not sure how you'd search for it.
I saw one thread on no-sparge, but the person had a pump and was just constantly recirculating the water in the tun. I'm not set-up to do that, but perhaps that person was not doing typical "no-sparge" brewing??

Old 11-06-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

maybe it's different if you can recirc, but I've always heard no sparge exactly as you described it.

Google comes up with a few results:
http://www.strandbrewers.org/techinfo/nosparge.htm
http://www.tastybrew.com/articles/dennyconn001

Old 11-06-2009, 03:17 AM   #7
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I doubt recirculating will help with no sparge. Kia has a chart that will show the gravity of the first run off with complete conversion. Recirculation or not you can't do much better than that and without much recirculation I get close.

I mash 1.4 qt:lb, mashout and double batch sparge. With my stock barley crusher and a 10-12 lb grain bill I usually get 85% or higher efficiency.

Last edited by Malticulous; 11-06-2009 at 03:28 AM.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:32 AM   #8
Walker

Recipes 

Do you ever get tannins using your process? The pH of the wort on your third running seems like it would be getting far off course, no?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:41 AM   #9
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I did before I started adjusting pH, but back than I was a fly sparger. I've done over 90% batch sparging without being able to taste any tannins.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:51 AM   #10
HotbreakHotel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I usually do a double batch sparge because I have a 5 gallon round cooler, and that's the only way I can get all the water through (I don't really make small beers).

I have checked pH with a pH meter a few times through all the sparges. I had been targeting 5.6 pH. In my experience the mash will be to the low side -- 5.3 - 5.4 with a thickish mash, and the first and second sparge will be at 5.6-5.7.

One time I did a third sparge because I was pushing the limits of my mash tun and the pH went out of range, over 6. If I could do it over I would have just poured the extra water into the kettle.

Another thing to note is I always use the same water profile for my sparge as I do my mash.

In short, in my experience it's been fine pH-wise to do 2 sparges but not 3.

Quick Reply