Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "Alchohol"y flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
cactusgarrett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The butterscotch characteristic from diacetyl probably won't fade too much (if at all) with time in the bottles, though. That's something yeast need to be given time at the end of fermentation to clean up prior to storage.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #12
Challenger440
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

To get rid of the diacetyl in future batches, do whats called a diacetyl rest. It basically involves raising the temperature of your fermentation maybe 4-5 degrees towards the end of active fermentation. This helps the yeast to go back and clean up after themselves. A quick search for "diacetyl rest" in the forum here should turn up a few good threads about it.

Keg #1: Oatmeal Stout (WLP004)
Keg #2: Oatmeal Stout (WLP037)
Keg #3: Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter
Keg #4: Empty
Bottled: Apfelwein, Scottish 60/-
On Deck: Simtennial Pale Ale

Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The yeast in your bottles from the bottle priming will eventually clean up the diacetyl, at least it has in my experience. As for increasing temp to achieve a diacetyl rest, it is a bit of a moot point in ale production but apparently much more important than in lager production. Just give your ales a few more days in the bucket to let them clean up before you bottle.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #14
bigjoe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What was your fermentation temp after you brought it down from 100F. What yeast strain did you use? How much did you pitch?

I'm not sure that the butterscotch was a product of the pitch temp. If your fermentation temps were low and you pulled it off the yeast too soon, which I'd say was the case, you'll get the butterscotch. Also under pitching will cause some diacetyl.

I've also found that Feremntis US-04 at low temps gives some butterscotch. I'll leave it on the yeast for a minimum of 3 weeks most times. Its really bad if under-pitched, even if only slightly under-pitched.

I've had beers with butterscotch that cleaned up in the bottle. I would give it more time. Considering it had some fermentation issues 9 days in the bottle isn't much time. Actually 20 days from grain to glass really isn't much.

Quick Reply