Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AHS Sunshine Wheat (New Belgium)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 04:37 AM   #1
au1991rx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default AHS Sunshine Wheat (New Belgium)

So we are in Colorodo a few weeks ago and I had to try the real Fat Tire while I was there. It did not last long and then I tried New Belgiums Sunshine Wheat and it was very good, my wife liked it alot. Anyway, I order ther kit from AHS to give it a try. The kit includes 1/4 ouce crushed coriander and 1/4 ounce sweet orange peel. Now I have had a beer before with the orange/coriander, I think it was a Blue Moon, anyway it was not one of my favorite tastes. I understand belgian ales are somewhat of an aquired taste. Anyway, the Sunshine Wheat we tried in Colorodo did not have any orange/coriander flavors and since I really do not like this taste I was going to leave it out or cut it down to 1/3 of the specified amount. Does anyone else who has tried this beer think it should have this in it?? Sould I add any of it?? Is the kit accurate?? Any suggestions... Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Unlike German Wheat Beers, Sunshine Wheat needs no lemon wedge to bring out its citrus bouquet. If anything, a fresh orange slice buddies up well to the coriander and orange peel within.

http://www.newbelgium.com/beers_sw.php

Old 04-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
Imbranato
Recipes 

See if you can find a beer called Hoegaarden. It's relatively common, I think that has the best orange corriander flavor out there, and I'm not crazy about blue moon either. You may end up liking the Hoegaarden, I think that your kit will be most like that one. I've never had that Sunshine Wheat before though.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
au1991rx
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. That link above made me thirsty, good info. Since I did not recall that flavor it surprised me it was in there. I ended up putting 1/2 the amount of orange/coriander asked for in the recipe because I wimped out and did not want to take a chance. I should just trust the guys at AHS. I will also look for some Hoegaarden, thanks for the suggestion, because that Blue Moon was just too strong for me...

Old 04-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 605 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Definitely give Hoegaarden a try. I fell in love with it overseas and have had a hard time getting it locally. I have one left in the fridge, and I might just have to pop the top after reading this...

Old 04-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
fiddup_is_a_middup

Recipes 

I think the kit is missing one key ingredient "1 cup Fruity Pebbles". I didn't like Sunshine Wheat. It did have a fruity taste, so if you liked it add the Corriander and Orange Peel

Conditioning: 1.) None 2:) None 3.) None
On Tap:: 1.) Hefeweizen 2.) ESB 3.) Oktoberfest 4.) Big Nut Brown Ale

Quick Reply