Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is it against the rules?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2006, 07:28 AM   #1
Twabe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is it against the rules?

Hello all,

I am new to the forum so please forgive my newbness.

I made my 5th AG batch (& 7th total - since I started brewing in Jan '06) this afternoon(eve), and was wondering:

Is it against the rules to add more wort to the boil, up to 30 minutes into a 90 minute boil, to maximize on the fermentable output (to = 7.25 gals in the fermenter)?

Basically, I was topping off my 38.5 quart ss pot to the point where I could contain it in the pot and not on the floor of my garage. It seemed to me that the color of the sparge was still quite dark at the end of the mashing process.

I probably added 1.5 gallons to the boil. from this extra sparge. As much work (& enjoyment) brewing is, I wanted to maximize on the output.

I am using a 5gal Igloo cooler as a mash tun (w/ss toilet water intake as a filter) , and another 5 gal Igloo cooler as the liquor vessel & my 7 gal plastic fermenter as the overflow liquor vessel.

My strike temp was 168, & the mash stayed hotter than I expected, 161, then very gradually down to 156 @ 90 minutes.

I am not doing any fancy tests to see how efficient I was.

My Dad's ancient hydrometer measured 1.05 @ the yeast pitch, If I am reading it right.

Recipe:

~13.5 lbs two row premium
1.5 lbs crystal 80L
1.5 biscuit 25L
4 OZ Northern Brewer
3 OZ Kent Goldings (+1 oz to be dryhopped)
London Ale yeast

PS: Today while attempting to vent one of my yeast bottles from the fridge from a previous batch, It exploded over the whole operation, the ceiling, the shoplight, and me.

PSS: For some reason, the exploding yeast bottle was a indication of the sloppiest, boiling overest, clumsiest, spillingest batch so far!

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

-t-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
Ize
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twabe
Hello all,

I am new to the forum so please forgive my newbness.

I made my 5th AG batch (& 7th total - since I started brewing in Jan '06) this afternoon(eve), and was wondering:

Is it against the rules to add more wort to the boil, up to 30 minutes into a 90 minute boil, to maximize on the fermentable output (to = 7.25 gals in the fermenter)?

-t-
First and foremost Welcome to the boards. First, I'm in awe of you brewing AG since starting brewing in January. 2 Extract batches then into AG? RIGHTEOUS!!

Not AG brewing myself, I'm guessing that what gets the job done for you is what will work... I'm guessing of course. So to me the mantra applies. Relax. Don't Worry....

However....

Those far more knowledgeable than I, and there are MANY here can get you what ya need.

Welcome again!

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 04-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twabe

PS: Today while attempting to vent one of my yeast bottles from the fridge from a previous batch, It exploded over the whole operation, the ceiling, the shoplight, and me.

PSS: For some reason, the exploding yeast bottle was a indication of the sloppiest, boiling overest, clumsiest, spillingest batch so far!

-t-
You should be fine adding more of the runnings 30 minutes into the boil.
That is a very high grain bill for a 5 gallon cooler. I ran your grain bill through ProMash and to fully utilize the grains you need about 4 1/4 gallons of strike water for the mash and about 8 1/2 gallons of sparge water. When all is said and done you are looking at about 10 gallons of wort pre-boil.
What size batch are you making and what OG were you shooting for? Sounds to me like you will need to do batch sparging for that much grain. I get an OG of 1.092 and a boil time of about 2 1/2 hours for a 5 gallon batch
Did you have your yeast container capped? You should keep your harvested yeast in the fridge with an air lock instead of a cap to vent the pressure. Once the air lock activity stops you could probably cap it but once you set the bottle at room temperature it could become a bomb again.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 04-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
davidkrau
Recipes 

Welcome to the forum.

Adding extra wort makes sense to me. I dont think there are very many hard and fast rules with respect to brewing. Maybe one is don't pitch yeast into boiling wort.

Can I pick your brain. I never heard of using a toilet intake as a filter. How does it work, what kind do you use and how do you tie it in to the cooler?

Old 04-23-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In reality, it doesn't matter what you add to the boil as long as you boil it another 5 mins to sanitize/sterilize it.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #6
rod
beer -just brew it
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Can I pick your brain. I never heard of using a toilet intake as a filter. How does it work, what kind do you use and how do you tie it in to the cooler?

it is the stainless steel braid on the outside you use

simplified signature:
beer, wine, cheese in various stages of production

Old 04-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I do the same thing, but I call it batch sparging. I've noticed that a problem batch will have multiple things go wrong, you don't just have the yeast blow up, but the mash gets stuck, you don't have the right bittering hops, you forget the flavor hops and have to do a longer boil. And then someone drops a sausage in the wort and the cat tries to retrieve it. Somehow, it's still beer.

Given your high strike temperature, you probably have a lot of unfermentable sugars, so don't be surprised if the final gravity is higher than expected.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Somehow, it's still beer.
Cats are rubbish for carbonation......

Old 04-23-2006, 03:28 PM   #9
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan
Cats are rubbish for carbonation......
But they do add body...and mouthfeel.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 04-23-2006, 04:05 PM   #10
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

About the only problem I could see with adding wort late in the boil is that you may not get your hot break out of that portion, lending to cloudy beer. That would only really happen if you added it in the last few minutes before flame-out though. I'm sure your batch will be fine.

Welcome a'board!

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Quick Reply