Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG wort isn't settling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
mandobud16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default AG wort isn't settling

Hey all,

I brewed an all-grain Ginger wheat last night, and ended up dumping the entire contents of the brew kettle into the fermenter (hops, trub, ginger, etc.). I poured two jars of washed Wyeast 1056 in and placed the fermenter in a swamp cooler which I have kept at about 70 F. It's been almost 24 hours and there is no fermentation activity (which can be normal), but the fermenter is still very thick with particles. There is a small layer of clear wort on top, but the rest is still super cloudy. Will this settle with time? Or should I find another way to cool the wort? I also used Whirlfloc during the boil. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I would bet it will settle with time. I brewed 2 AG batches today, one with a bunch of trub. So far, over 10 years, the trub has settled, after about 2 weeks.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My guess is once the fermentation starts, it will probably even get cloudier. I just watched an ale of mine the other day LITERALLY look like there was an impeller embedded in it, because it was so turbulent and moving around so much. you'd swear someone had a mixmaster inside it.

of course that was actually about a week ago. it's completely still ATM.

Jake in Toledo

Primary: Privateer English Pale Ale
Kegged: VEE HAFF VAYS AUF MAKING YOU TALK LOUDLY Dunkel
Bottled: Pacific Pride (American) Pale Ale

Old 07-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
frankieboy007
Recipes 

Brewed a batch of Amber Thursday, had stuff floating toward the top, just under the krausen, until this morning. Looks like it is all settling to the bottom, as expected. Give it a few days and it should be okay.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If it doesnt settle within a month...try a cold crash. All kidding aside you're fine...what looks ugly cloudy can clear brilliantly w/ time.

Quick Reply