Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG VS Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Bru
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default AG VS Extract

Will an All Grain brew always result in a better beer than an extract brew ?
In other words is using malt extract a comprimise ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
s1080
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Will an All Grain brew always result in a better beer than an extract brew ?
Not always. Their are many different variables and one can still produce a very good beer using extract

Quote:
is using malt extract a comprimise ?.
I would say it is. Depending on brew space and how long one has been doing it determines how far someone is willing to go with it. Are their people who go straight to ag, yes. But is it a compromise of taste and a better beer, I dont think so. I did extracts for about a year before I went ag and by the end of that year I feel like I was producing some pretty good stuff. Especially when I got into steeping specialty grains. My roommate and I won 3rd place in a local comp for our double and that was an extract brew. The only thing ag affords more then extract is control over the process, which can help make a better tasting beer but is not always the case. I would just try to always get fresh extract but sometimes that can be easier said then done.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
Bru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ive only "brewed" once - with a Coopers kit. Is it advisable to go straight to AG or would you suggest I start with a couple of extract brews first ?
Theres alot of info on this forum - Im fairly confident of getting it right (more or less).

Old 07-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
jerryodom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'd say the answer is relative to your definition of a better beer. Supposedly with the all grain approach you get more flexibility in crafting the flavor of the beer. Personally I do both and tend to mix the two to suppliment recipes.

I don't think you have to do extract brews before taking the all grain approach. Grain brewing is a little more involved with the grain crush, mashing and sparging aspects but even if you fubar some aspects of those you'll still make a good beer. Just have a good reference book nearby, make sure you have all the basic equipment you need and do it.

I brew beer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Read more about it on my blog: Bayou Beer.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
bensyverson
Recipes 

Try a partial mash first or even steeping grains before you go 100% AG... A lot of people stop at PM because it's "close enough."

Old 07-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
avshook
Recipes 

In my opinion, the first key to making good beer from extract is to throw away the packet of dried yeast and use a liquid yeast from White Labs or Wyeast. The yeast has as much to do with the flavour as anything else. The taste difference between re-hydrated malt extract and homemade all grain wort is probably similar to the difference between frozen orange juice and fresh squeezed. It will still taste a lot like beer.
All grain brewing is as much about the process as it is the product. It's like cunducting a six hour long chemistry experiment in your kitchen. It all depends on the time and effort you are willing to invest in it. Sometimes, half way through a long sparge, I really wish that I had just opend a can of Coopers extract instead, but when I open a bottle of AG homebrew I proudly think to myself, I made this from scratch! That's pretty cool.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Start with extract. You can make great beer with extract, or at least good beer.

As a rule of thumb, if you can't make a decent extract beer (read: drinkable) then you probably won't make a very good AG beer. It's also a good idea to start extract because it's cheaper, and if you decide to quit brewing after 5 or 6 batches you won't be out hundreds of dollars! Not that you would ever decide such a thing though....

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Old 07-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I started with extract because it's cheaper. What most of us don't remember or understand is that an AG mash is scary for the first timer -- I remember that I thought I'd have to buy a thermometer for my oven as I was going to have to roast my own barley. I'm sure there are some elitists out there who think like that, but they are few and far between. I'm still playing with extracts, as well as extract-based PG worts. Nothing wrong with experimenting, as even if you eff up, you'll still have something that you can proudly drink.

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Old 07-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

extract beers have won national competitions..

Old 07-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If I can throw in my 2 cents.
I have found liquid extract to have a "twang" to it and may not be exactly fresh, Dry extract is more expensive but I think better. I went to AG because it allows me more flexibility and I enjoy mashing, it just smells really good.
I have made great beer with extract and make great beer with AG, just the AG allows me to really control more, but I think fermentation temperature control has more of an impact. Lots of variables to making great beer and I'm still working on all of them and still learning after over a decade I still feel like a noob.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Quick Reply