Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG in small batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
dinertime
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default AG in small batches

I'm looking to start all grain brewing in my apartment, and my only equipment for mashing/boiling are a 5 gallon pot and my gas range. I have successfully done a number of partial mash recipes using the large grain-bag method and have gotten good efficiencies (>70%). I plan on adapting it to AG.

My plan right now is to halve a 5 gal AG recipe (with the help of BeerSmith) and brew a 2.5 gal batch as my first AG. I figure this will allow me to get it done with my equipment and also learn the ropes without spending so much money on grains.

What I am worried about is fermenters and oxygen. I have a 5 gal and a 6.5 gal glass carboy. I assume in the primary all of the oxygen will get used up by the yeast and replaced with CO2, but if I want to rack it into a secondary, I would have a LOT of headspace (2.5 gal or so). Would this be a problem for oxidation? Should I just leave it in the primary and deal with the cloudy beer? Does it seem possible to use my CO2 tank to displace all the air in a secondary with carbon dioxide? And I guess if anyone has any tips or suggestions regarding AG on the stovetop (besides the common threads), they would be appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Leave it in the fermenter until it clears. Solves all of your problems.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-18-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
smalltown2001
Recipes 

I would definitely try it. That's how I got started in AG, I figured if I halved the recipe, I could still use my 5 gallon pot and brew inside, although I did make a Igloo cooler mash tun. It turned into the best two beers I have made so far, even though I only got about 50% efficiency. I've been brewing AG since, and trying it in small batches inspired me to get the equipment needed since they turned out so good. Like the previous post, I wouldn't worry about a secondary yet. I was told early on that it was very beneficial to use a secondary, so I did for every batch, and I think the result I got was maybe a tad bit clearer beer, but was oxidized when it didn't have to be. One nice thing about 2.5 gallon batches is you can experiment a lot and brew a lot more, without as much of a backlog of beer that you need to drink.

Quick Reply