Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG Simply?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 01:00 AM   #1
cheezydemon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default AG Simply?

So if I had two 5 gallon pots and a good strainer. Could I mash the grains and water in container "A", put the strainer in container B, pour the wort and grains through the strainer into "B", place the strainer on "A", pour it back in through the strainer and grains several times, would this have the desired outcome? Why or why not? (then proceeding on to boiling, etc. of course)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
mykayel
Recipes 

I guess you could... but personally, for about $30 (if you find a cooler for about $15) you can make your own MLT. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23008

Old 08-20-2007, 01:18 AM   #3
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

you could, your efficiency would suck, but add a few extra pounds of grain and you'd be ok. But AG is not that complicated, and the way you are suggesting would be messy and heavy.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:50 AM   #4
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not to mention a total pain in the A$$. I did a PM that way and quickly built a MLT.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:02 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That's the thing. Your subject says simply but after you go through that process, it's really gonna feel unsimple. If it's stuff you already have, it's more like the cheapest way out. The problem with a strainer is that you'll never quite set a nice grain bed to get clear runnings. Build a cooler based MLT.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks! The cooler and spout thing just sounded like a pain to clean, but I guess it doesn't have to be that clean since you boil the wort afterwards.

Another thought I have had, probably even less practical, would be for a giant french press. If you have ever seen those, you put hot water and loose coffe (or grains hee hee) in the pitcher to steep. After a time, you push down this giant strainer/plunger from the lid that catches all of the "bits" and pushes them to the bottom, allowing you to pour off filtered coffee. Not practical on a large scale.
Thanks for listening!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

In fact, you don't want to press your grist. It's a good way to pull tannins out of the husks. All I do to my cooler MLT to clean is to dump the grain and hose it out. That's it. No scrubbing or sanitizing.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-20-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
In fact, you don't want to press your grist. It's a good way to pull tannins out of the husks. All I do to my cooler MLT to clean is to dump the grain and hose it out. That's it. No scrubbing or sanitizing.
I think that I had heard that, about pressing the grains. So you want all of the goodness that will "rinse" out, but squashing the grain will release the evil tannins?

I checked out the site referenced on the "cheap Mash Tun" thread. It frankly scared me. I have 2 small kids, so maybe my time is less available than some guys, but I am not too sure about full boils, immersion chillers etc.!

I am sure that there are other threads, but if someone wants to help:Why not do a smaller batch on a stove top? If the temp won't hold and you turn the burner on for a minute, is that so bad?(as opposed to a cooler which retains the temp better). I am thinking that doing 2 batches on the stove top, doing batch 2 while batch 1 cools, would be easier. Maybe not. I guess I just need to try it.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:36 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Your overall time efficiency per gallon goes up as you increase your batch size. A 10 gallon batch takes me about 6 hours from setup to cleanup. If I did two 5 gallon batches, it would probably be 8 hours. Four 2.5 gallon batches would take 12 hours, etc.

Yes, it takes a bit more commitment and investment but it's fun. I've got two kids etc, but brewing is what I do for me time.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:09 AM   #10
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
but brewing is what I do for me time.
And Loving It.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Quick Reply