Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG noob. We strike again.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceamerica
thanks for the tip. I usually leave it as ajar as I can, and still keep the rolling boil going. hope this works??
That's better than nothing...perhaps not ideal, depending on how much you're covering the kettle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 11:21 PM   #12
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
That's better than nothing...perhaps not ideal, depending on how much you're covering the kettle.
next step is to insulate the brew pot then. not that i've noticed anything wrong w/my flavor...but been thinking of doing that anyway - price of electricity is going up...and that stove sucks juice.

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

here's a previous thread about insulating brew pots. probably want to use high temp insulation (from auto parts store) if you are using gas.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=53683

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:35 AM   #14
enohcs
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 9 Posts

I'd be interested in hearing about the hop characteristics compared to what it should be. I would guess it's going to have a bit more flavor and aroma because you didn't boil off all the essential oils, but lacking in the bitterness department because you weren't able to effectively extract the acids at the lower heat...thus making for a malty/hoppy flavored beer. And yes you will have a bit of haze...but that's just cosmetic.

The great thing about home brewing is there is no right and wrong way to do things. you're still going to end up with a malt beverage that will have the ability to get you drunk.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #15
Kai

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Trance, DON'T boil with the lid on! Driving off DMS (cooked corn/veggie flavors) is one of the most important reasons to boil wort. It's ok to leave the lid on when you're initially trying to get the boil going, but once it's rolling, you need to take that lid off!
Until we get ourselves a turkey fryer, we're doing stovetop boils the fun way. We wrap our brewpot, dangerously enough, in a towel, and have to have the lid about half on. Every minute or two we take the lid off and let the condensation drip off into the sink. We've had no DMS problems, even using a large percentage of pils malt.
Kegged: Christmas Ale
Bottle Conditioning:
Drinking: Saison Bâtard

The Green Wall Nanobrewery
tibi non nolis

Old 03-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #16
Skipster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enohcs
I'd be interested in hearing about the hop characteristics compared to what it should be. I would guess it's going to have a bit more flavor and aroma because you didn't boil off all the essential oils, but lacking in the bitterness department because you weren't able to effectively extract the acids at the lower heat...thus making for a malty/hoppy flavored beer. And yes you will have a bit of haze...but that's just cosmetic.

The great thing about home brewing is there is no right and wrong way to do things. you're still going to end up with a malt beverage that will have the ability to get you drunk.
I boiled all the hops on the stove. I kept the same additions, size and time.

An after thought, you guys might be able to shed some light on. I am noticing that my AG beers are not having the same vigorous fermentation my extract beers were. I am using my oxynator, and yeast starters the same as with the extract brews, but these aren't blowing up like some of the similar gravity beers before were. Any thoughts?

)

Old 05-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
Until we get ourselves a turkey fryer, we're doing stovetop boils the fun way. We wrap our brewpot, dangerously enough, in a towel, and have to have the lid about half on. Every minute or two we take the lid off and let the condensation drip off into the sink. We've had no DMS problems, even using a large percentage of pils malt.
I do stovetop, extract brewing and did the same thing that you did with the towels, lids, etc... and it still took FOREVER. I went out and made a heatstick...

http://www.cedarcreeknetworks.com/heatstick.htm

and now, I can boil 3+ gallons without the lid OR the stove even turned on!! I can now do the entire process in the garage or wherever without a burner at all and its still faster than it used to be on the stove. It truly is wonderful and only cost about $30 in parts and about 45 minutes to build.

If you look at the site, you'll notice the guy is holding a boil with one stick on a full sized boil. On an extract sized boil, one stick and the stove turned on will have 3 gallons leaping out of a 5 gallon pot. Just the stick is the perfect amount of heat.

Reason: Add stuff

Old 05-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #18
BrewDey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

FWIW-I've had difficulty getting my wort up to temp with my turkey fryer a few times. At first I thought that it just wasn't strong enough, but then the next time it worked great. It seems like the following really help:
-make sure you have plenty of gas in the tank to begin with
-get the flame going before setting the pot on the fryer
-baby the gas when igniting, it seems like if you give it too much too fast-it'll snuff itself out and/or not be as strong as it can be.

This may be 'old news' to you-but it's really helped get my wort hot quicker.

Quick Reply