The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG noob. We strike again.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Skipster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default AG noob. We strike again.

Last nights brew session sucked , I attempted to do BM's newcastle clone. This is only my second AG brew so I am still working out the kinks with my new equipment. The mash went well, I improved on my efficiency, above 70%.

So up to now things are looking great, I have collected my 6.5 gallons in the brew pot. Problem is with the weather we are having here in the good ol' northwest, (its actually snowing) I was unable to get my wort to a boil after 2 hours of trying. My hand me down burner isnt cutting it. I even tried splitting the boil in half. Half on the stove, half on the burner outside. But the burner outside can't get even that little amount above 180 degrees.

I cooled what was left of the outside half and added that to the fermenter, I did a partial boil with 3 gallons of wort on the stove top. I just treated it like the extract brews I used to do. I am not sure what kind of an effect this is going to have on the finished product. I can tell you one thing, after work I am going to get a burner that "effing" works.

All in all it doesn't look so bad, it was bubbling away this morning. I have abondoned the idea it will be a clone beer, at this point I will settle for a drinkable beer after that fiasco.

)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

I bet it'll turn out okay. Maybe a bit sweeter than a NC, but nice and close to an English brown style.

Congrats on popping your AG cherry.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Bummer Skipster. Where's Global Warming when you need it. .

You need to check into getting a new turkey fryer burner ASAP.

$44 gets you this King Cooker from Amazon with free delivery.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
reshp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you had the wort up past 160ish, you probably killed off any nasties in it. You might have some chill haze issues due to lack of/inadequate hot-break, but I think taste wise I think you'll be fine. By the way, did you add any hop additions to the outside half? Your utilization might be off if you did. I need to get a burner as well, I'm also doing the two pot dance on my kitchen stove. I usually need to straddle two burners to get the larger pot (~4 gals of wort) up to a boil.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
Skipster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reshp1
If you had the wort up past 160ish, you probably killed off any nasties in it. You might have some chill haze issues due to lack of/inadequate hot-break, but I think taste wise I think you'll be fine. By the way, did you add any hop additions to the outside half? Your utilization might be off if you did. I need to get a burner as well, I'm also doing the two pot dance on my kitchen stove. I usually need to straddle two burners to get the larger pot (~4 gals of wort) up to a boil.
I used the hops for the boil on the stove. The AG stuff is completely new, despite the goofs I am having a good time with it.

Side note, I was actually completely happy with extract brewing until I joined this forum. Inside a month I switched to AG.

)

Old 03-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
Skipster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Bummer Skipster. Where's Global Warming when you need it. .

You need to check into getting a new turkey fryer burner ASAP.

$44 gets you this King Cooker from Amazon with free delivery.

You know the BTU's is something I have never nailed down. I am not sure how many BTU's are sufficient. This one I am using looks just like a banjo burner but it has two of them side by side. I think they are just mounted to far away from the kettle to make any decent heat.

)

Old 03-27-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I only do PM and extract brews - but even my stove has a hell of a time getting a rolling boil going unless the lid is on the pot. Been thinking of insulating my brew pot, just so I don't use as much energy. Of course, I'm not trying to boil anything off, so the lid is fine for me.

you could insulate your brew pot. In a pinch, you might try wrapping it, and a bit of your cooker, in tin foil - put more of the heat into the pot and less to the atmosphere.

BTW:

1 BTU is the energy to raise 1 pound of water 1 degree F. therefore, if you are trying to boil 5 gallons of 50*F water, you'd need:

5 gallons = 8.34 pounds x 5 = 41.7 lbs

212 *f - 50*F = 162*F

41.7 lbs x 162*F = 6,755 BTU

BUT!! to get the water to actually boil, you need to add 1000 BTU per pound to make the state change from water to gas (look up latent heat and sensible heat on wikipedia) so you'd need something like a 41,700 BTU burner to do that - and make sure ALL of the heat went into the water (which won't happen...)

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Last edited by tranceamerica; 03-27-2008 at 10:17 PM.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Trance, DON'T boil with the lid on! Driving off DMS (cooked corn/veggie flavors) is one of the most important reasons to boil wort. It's ok to leave the lid on when you're initially trying to get the boil going, but once it's rolling, you need to take that lid off!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
Skipster
Recipes 

Thats a good idea, I guess in my frustration I didn't think about that.

)

Old 03-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #10
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Trance, DON'T boil with the lid on! Driving off DMS (cooked corn/veggie flavors) is one of the most important reasons to boil wort. It's ok to leave the lid on when you're initially trying to get the boil going, but once it's rolling, you need to take that lid off!
thanks for the tip. I usually leave it as ajar as I can, and still keep the rolling boil going. hope this works??

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Quick Reply