AG in my Apt..and on a budget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammacks

Reaction score
Well guys I've only bottled 1 batch so far (brewed 4), and thought AG would be a year or so down the road for me. I figured I would wait until I had a turkey fryer setup, a MLT, and a garage/yard. I guess where there's a will there's a way. Actually, make that when there is obsession, there is a way.

My MLT is about as cheap, yet fully functional as you can go. It is an approximately 5 gallon styrofoam cooler from Meijer ($7) with a 20" steel braid ($6) in the bottom. One end of the braid is zip tied onto the flexible hose that as part of the hose to begin with. The hose travels through a snug hole (also sealed with silicon $3) in the cooler then attaches to some siphon tubing. I have no valve, just a clip to hold the tube up on the cooler handle to stop flow. I have stuck a probe thermometer through the side of the cooler. Even I destroy this thing I'm out 7 bucks for the cooler and that's it. Total cost for cooler, braid/hose, and sealant: $18. I can get some pics if anyone is interested.

So it works great. No leaks at all, and held mash temperature great. I made BM's Centennial Blonde using Chinook and Williamette hops. I had a preboil volume of about 6 gallons. I wanted to use 6.5 but didn't quite have the capacity. I used two pots to do this. Topped off to 5.5 gallons and ended up with a efficiency of 77% according to Beersmith, even though my grain bill was slightly under weight as my LHBS friend just eyeballed the partial pounds. The wort tasted great! I like those Williamettes a lot.

And for the sad part: I use my bathtub to keep my fermenter cold. It's free (city of East Lansing) 62-64 degree water. I had to go to a party for a brother of mine soon after pitching the yeast. I was there all day and was convinced to spend the night too (long story). I knew I shouldn't have left my infant brew alone! As soon as I got home, I rushed to the bathroom to check on it as soon as I got home. The water was gone (do bathtubs every really hold water?) and my stick-on thermometer read 86 degrees. That made me sad, real sad.

So I just took a hydro sample. There was some off smells, but I've smelled similar in other early ferementations. I cooled it to 60 for a better reading. The true test of course was the sample tasting. It didn't suck! To my suprise it was pretty clean. The Williamette's flavor was the biggest aftertaste as well. I know it will only get better from here.

OK, so I got a questions:
I noticed my temperature reading for my mash varied a lot with small changes in probe position. I have it stuck in at an angle so it is about 2" - 4" off the bottom to get a good grain bed reading. Even just moving it in and out a few inches can measure a degree and a half or so of difference. What is the best way to measure your grain bed temperature.

I shove my probe in as far as it will go, I would think 4 inches off the bottom of the cooler would be fine, that was a mighty high temp though, maybe it will be ok, good luck and keep us posted:rockin:

No kidding! I'm thinking it must not have been so high for very long. Oh, and Nottingham BTW.

8/11/08: Just for reference, this beer rocks. Oh, and the styrofoam cooler didn't last long (too much texture makes it hard to clean, don't trust it).

Back