New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG Mild Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
rwdr4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default AG Mild Ale

Has anyone every made a Mild Ale?? I made one yesterday, cooled it and all, and then pitched the yeast @72. It was about 5 o'clock when I pitched the yeast. It is now 910 or so and no activity yet. Has this happened to anyone?? I usually get action within 10 hours of pitching. Hope I didnt screw up. This is a Northern Brewer AG kit. The yeast was the Activator (it dd work) Wyeast #1275 Thames Valley Ale Yeast.

Bill

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Mild ales are great! I'm just getting into them myself.

This thread should help set your mind at ease.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 04-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
rwdr4
Recipes 

Thanks for the post, we'll see what happens from here. I'll give it the time. Like I said usually I get ferm quick this situation might be because of the type of beer being made and the short duration of the fermentation.

We'll see
Bill

Old 04-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
rwdr4
Recipes 

You know my impatience has taken a good bite. I went to the lake with my kids today and got home about thirty minutes ago. We'll I walked into the MAN ROOM andlooked at my new Mil Ale and should of guessd it....................I have Krausen. Looks like fermentation has begun.....

Guess I should not think each beer should work the same especially with different yeast strains.

Thanks for the post and I have learned a lesson..............be patient and not be in such a hurry.

Fermentation is good.

Bill

Old 04-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
balto charlie

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdr4
Has anyone every made a Mild Ale?? I made one yesterday, cooled it and all, and then pitched the yeast @72. It was about 5 o'clock when I pitched the yeast. It is now 910 or so and no activity yet. Has this happened to anyone?? I usually get action within 10 hours of pitching. Hope I didnt screw up. This is a Northern Brewer AG kit. The yeast was the Activator (it dd work) Wyeast #1275 Thames Valley Ale Yeast.

Bill

I also just made one. I used Nottinghams Ale Dry Yeast. I put the yeast into the beer at 6:00PM last night and had serious fermentation by 11:00PM. I was stunned! I expected 12-24 before lite bubbling not 5 hours for full fermenting/krausen. Charlie
Primary
On Deck Red IPA, Pale ale, ESB

Old 04-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
rwdr4
Recipes 

This is the first mild ale, I hope it tuns out good. If it dos and I like it I am going to do a ten gallon one. I have about four hundred 12 ozs bottles to fill.

Right now I am sitting on 15 gallons of three differents brews. One Belgian Wit, One honey weizen, and the mild ale. The first wo are in secondary rght now and the mild just went into the primary. Maybe in two weeks or so Ill be doing a Scottish 80. I already have the grain bill for it. Just have to do it.

Bill

Old 04-08-2008, 01:21 AM   #8
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdr4
This is the first mild ale, I hope it tuns out good. If it dos and I like it I am going to do a ten gallon one. I have about four hundred 12 ozs bottles to fill.

Right now I am sitting on 15 gallons of three differents brews. One Belgian Wit, One honey weizen, and the mild ale. The first wo are in secondary rght now and the mild just went into the primary. Maybe in two weeks or so Ill be doing a Scottish 80. I already have the grain bill for it. Just have to do it.

Bill
You need kegs bad. That is a lot of beer to bottle.

Bill

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 04-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
bgrubb7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That exact kit was my first AG brew a few months ago. I pitched in the evening, and had activity by morning. It was almost completely fermented out on 4 days. I gave it 1 week in the primary, then 2 weeks in a secondary. when I tasted my samples, they seemed way too malty. The maltiness did mellow a bit with age. When I bottled, it still tasted almost too malty, but once it was carbed it was pretty tasty. I can also say that this stuff get better with time. Its been about 2 months since i bottled, and it is almost perfect right now. A little toasty, but goes down clean with no aftertaste. I will probably brew again, but will add some aroma hops next time.

Quick Reply