Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG: how long is your normal brew session (milling grain to fermenter)???

View Poll Results: How many hours is your typical brew day? All Grain only.
<3 hours 1 0.56%
3-3.5 hours 6 3.35%
3.5-4 hours 18 10.06%
4-4.5 hours 33 18.44%
4.5-5 hours 38 21.23%
5-5.5 hours 31 17.32%
5.5-6 hours 33 18.44%
>6 hours! 19 10.61%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Jayhem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Default AG: how long is your normal brew session (milling grain to fermenter)???

All Grain brewer's: How long does it usually take you from the time you start milling your grain till you have your batch in the fermenter and yeast pitched?

I'm trying to get it down to 4 hours but after 20 batches I have always been closer to 5 hours!

I think my issue is efficiency. I tend to weigh and mill my grain and then remember that I should have put my mash water on the heat first!

So how long is your normal brew day?

Next up: American Brown Ale
Primary 1&2:
Primary 3&4:
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1122 Times on 849 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I mill at the HBS...

It's usually 3 and half hours...

First thing I do is start kettle and get strike water heating. While it's heating I get everything organized (clean fermenters, tubing, measure hops..etc)
Mash in and immediately heat sparging water in same kettle. Right now your at about 30-45 min in.
Mash 60 min
Sparge 20min
Boil 60min
Cool 30 min (I usually cool to around 80-90 degrees then give it an ice bath for a couple hours before I pitch)

Total time: 3:35

Edit add 30 min to heat runnings...

Total time: 4:05

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 10-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Jayhem
Recipes 

There is also time between steps that you forget about. After sparging it depends on your kettle but it could take up to another 20 minutes to reach a boil, then if you oversparged you may have to boil 70 or 80 minutes to get the right volume post boil. I think these are where my extra hour goes.

I usually have busy weekends with the wife/family, yard work and working on the house while it's light out so I have to do my brew days in the evenings when I get home from work around 6pm. These 5 hour brewing nights are just too much for me. I'm no good at much after about 10pm.

Primary 1&2:
Primary 3&4:
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I bet i'm around 4 hours. I stopped trying to go fast. Now I enjoy it, don't stress about it, clean as I go and finish when I do.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Including cleaning the kitchen before and after brewing it's about 5 hours for me. However, there is maybe 3 hours of dead time that I can use for something else.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
Including cleaning the kitchen before and after brewing it's about 5 hours for me. However, there is maybe 3 hours of dead time that I can use for something else.
That is a good point. The time waiting on the mash, 60 min boil, chilling the wort down, etc. can be spent doing other efficient chores. For me I use that time to clean up my mess as I go because the last thing I want to do after brewing is clean up the brewing mess and wash everything!

Primary 1&2:
Primary 3&4:

Old 10-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

For me, it all depends on what I'm brewing, mash time, boil time, etc. Last batch I did a 90 minute mash, 90-120 minute boil, and then fairly normal things. I started the mash water heating before milling the 30# of grain (full keggle mash tun with that batch). Still, started everything around noon, and was carrying the fermenter of chilled wort (I aim for 60-65F) around 6pm. I'll try to get a better time line with my next batch (in another 2-3 weekends) which will have a more normal schedule.

I figure that if I can get everything lined up properly, and nothing goes even a little sideways, I should be able to get a 'normal' batch done in 4-5 hours. I'm including drawing water time too.

Keep in mind, I'm getting 6.75-7 gallons into fermenter here. IF I was still doing 5 gallon batches, the time frame would be shorter, even if only slightly.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post

Keep in mind, I'm getting 6.75-7 gallons into fermenter here. IF I was still doing 5 gallon batches, the time frame would be shorter, even if only slightly.
I usually do double batches of my session type ales (11 gal) so I can put 5.5 in each 6gal carboy. I figure it only takes about 20% more time to make 100% more beer per session.

Primary 1&2:
Primary 3&4:

Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Takes me around 5 to 5.5 hours. I usually set aside 9AM-3PM on brew day

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
mariojr Likes This 
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
timewasted
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My last one on Sunday was 4 hours. The grain was already crushed though. That was starting the strike water to cleanup.

Blog: http://timewasted.net

Quick Reply