New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG effeciency and batch size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
william_shakes_beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 73 Posts

Default AG effeciency and batch size

I did my third AG batch last weekend and my first 10 gallon full boil. In the previous 2 5 gallon batches I had to add about 1 LB dme to get to my expected OG at 75% expected effeciency. This time, I actually passed my expected OG and added no DME whatsoever. Is there an increase effeciency going from 5 Gal to 10 Gal? all batches were BIAB, single sparge at 170F, squeeze profusely twice. The 5 gallon batches used a 5 gallon paint strainer, the 10 gallon batch used a voile curtain bag.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I would expect a 10 gallon eff to be equal to or less than the 5 gallon eff. Paint strainer vs voile bag should not matter either, I've used both. Less trub with the voile obviously.

I'd look at any differences in crush, mash temps, mash times, mash out, grain bill size, etc. I've noticed nice efficiency gains from adjusting the crush, mashing for 75 minutes vs 60, and adding a mash out. Started in the mid 60's, jumped to mid 70's with finer crush and mash out, and sometimes hit mid/upper 80's with 75 minute mash and small/med grain bills.

Primary #1:Dunkel #2:Empty
Secondary #1
: Peach Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Piker Liker Porter, Umlaut my Kölsch V
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Red Rye IPA, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Carmelite Tripel, Rhubarb Wine, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Irish Red, Surly Bender clone, Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 06-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
I would expect a 10 gallon eff to be equal to or less than the 5 gallon eff. Paint strainer vs voile bag should not matter either, I've used both. Less trub with the voile obviously.

I'd look at any differences in crush, mash temps, mash times, mash out, grain bill size, etc. I've noticed nice efficiency gains from adjusting the crush, mashing for 75 minutes vs 60, and adding a mash out. Started in the mid 60's, jumped to mid 70's with finer crush and mash out, and sometimes hit mid/upper 80's with 75 minute mash and small/med grain bills.
All 3 batches were double crushed by yours truly, at the same LHBW on the same mill. I even divided the grains for the 10 gallon batch into 2 5 gallon batches (in case it rained and I had to brew inside) I did mash a little thinnner (2 QT/LB VS previous 1.25 QT/LB) bacause I had the space in the larger brew pot.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 33

That's a pretty big clue. I vary betwen 1.25 and 2 qt/lb also. Kind of what I was getting at with the small vs large grain bill. An 8 or 8.5 lb grain bag works much better for me than the 12 lb bags that pretty much max out my system. Looking back at my notes my 2 Hearted IPA w/ 12lbs was 77% and my most recent Kolsch was 86% with 8.5 lbs. Pretty identical mashes otherwise.

Primary #1:Dunkel #2:Empty
Secondary #1
: Peach Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Piker Liker Porter, Umlaut my Kölsch V
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Red Rye IPA, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Carmelite Tripel, Rhubarb Wine, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Irish Red, Surly Bender clone, Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
All 3 batches were double crushed by yours truly, at the same LHBW on the same mill. I even divided the grains for the 10 gallon batch into 2 5 gallon batches (in case it rained and I had to brew inside) I did mash a little thinnner (2 QT/LB VS previous 1.25 QT/LB) bacause I had the space in the larger brew pot.
Yep, that makes sense. You'll tend to get more sugars out with a thinner mash.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 946

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
Yep, that makes sense. You'll tend to get more sugars out with a thinner mash.
+1, this has been my experience too.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'm totally mashing thinner this next brew. Add it to the list of upgrades to my process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply