Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG Chilling Options

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #21
Kadmium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

You could always do what I do - the No chill method!!!!

In australia we are suffering one of the worst droughts known to man. We are entering stage 4 water restrictions, no watering the garden, lawns etc, no washing cars even with a bucket or anything, no outside watering at all, no comercial car washing companies may operate, no public parks to be watered, no public areas to have gardens that are to be watered etc etc. Basically, you can only shower, wash and drink with water. And 50 litres for cooling down wort is stupid. So I dont chill my wort - "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU DO THEN KADMIUM?!" is probably what you are screaming at me right now... well

I do what is called the "no chill cube" I just got a 25 litre water and food safe jerry can from bunnings ( the hardware store ) when I finish the boil, I rinse the cube with no-rinse sanitiser and just siphon the boiling hot wort into the "no chill cube" I then press the sides in with my knees till the wort almost spills out the can and screw the lid on (makes it air tight) doing that gives two benefits. Like I said, makes it air tight and means when I come back to pop her open, if its not under vacuum it means air got in. The boiling hot wort kills anything inside the jerry can and leaves it contamination free!

But what about DMS? well, Australian wheat does not have the same enzyme in it found in european and american malts, which converts into DMS, which means I can boil my malt with the lid on and liquid dripping back into the pot and get no vegetable flavours! yeah, I dont suffer from hot wort syndrome due to the pure Australian malt I use.

But what about cold break!? well, I let the "no chill cube" sit outside over night, then in the morning bung it in the fridge till its down to temp, I pop it open, pour it into the fermenter vigourously and wallah! down the bottom is a crap load of cold and hot break. Infact, the wort the comes out is almost twice as clear as what I used to get with my immersion chiller cold break. The wort and the beer come out so clear its a joke!

And the other benefits?

- It cuts my brew day down by about 2 hours
- I can brew multiple things on one day
- I can store them in the cubes for up to 6 months (longest I went before popping one open and using, and it was freaking fantastic - it was a mates, not my own)

and the list goes on!!

Have a good one mate, K

Primary: Nierra Sevada

Carboy1: Sanitizer
Carboy2: Sanitizer

Kegged - Burnt down the Hause ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #22
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts

Well, that just blew away all of my pre-conceived notions about needing to cool the wort fast. I think I'll stick to < 70' in 10 mins, though.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:10 PM   #23
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadmium
You could always do what I do - the No chill method!!!!
Good job being resourceful in times of crisis Kad! That would suck to be in a drought.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #24
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Ingenious.

But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadmium
I then press the sides in with my knees till the wort almost spills out the can and screw the lid on
Having a boiled weenie could rank up there as the
Worst.
Brewday.
Accident.
Ever.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 03-30-2007, 11:59 PM   #25
Kadmium
Recipes 

hahahhaa, dont worry, I do it backwards, so the worst im going to get is a burnt bum I cant figure out any other way of pressing it together save using my hands = burnt face!

Have a good one mate, K

Primary: Nierra Sevada

Carboy1: Sanitizer
Carboy2: Sanitizer

Kegged - Burnt down the Hause ale

Old 04-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #26
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

another easy way is get a couple of two liter bottles. Fill with water and put them in the freezer. sanitize and drop those bad frozen boys in your hot wort. Will cool it fast. Ive used this method before i had a wort chiller.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #27
Chillbrook
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavisii
another easy way is get a couple of two liter bottles. Fill with water and put them in the freezer. sanitize and drop those bad frozen boys in your hot wort. Will cool it fast. Ive used this method before i had a wort chiller.
Do you need to worry about sanitizing the bottles?

The integrity of the bottle isn't compromised by the wort temp?

Quick Reply