Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/)
-   -   AG Chilling Options (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/ag-chilling-options-25852/)

mcgeebc 03-28-2007 03:32 PM

AG Chilling Options
I am interested in moving to all grain, but I have one concern that is holding me back. I live in a condo and don't have a hose or a kitchen sink that will allow me to connect a wort chiller. I have one of those sinks with a spray connection only.

Are there any other options for cooling wort for all grain? I am currently doing an ice bath for my extract boils and pouring it on top of 2 gallons of cold water.

cweston 03-28-2007 03:35 PM

Does your kitchen sink not have a screw-on aerator? If it does, you can get an inexpensive brass adaptor that screws on in place of the aerator and then you can screw a hose onto the adaptor.

zoebisch01 03-28-2007 03:47 PM

Yup, what cweston said. The other option is a dishwasher adapter which is what I did. You click it on.

Ryan_PA 03-28-2007 04:11 PM

Or, a washing machine water line. they are the same as garden hose threads.

tbulger 03-28-2007 05:04 PM

Put a submersible water pump in a bucket that has a standard garden hose fitting

Sir Humpsalot 03-28-2007 05:08 PM

Boil two ziplock bags, put one inside the other, fill the inner bag with water and seal it up. Then seal up the outer bag and throw it in the freezer. When you are ready to chill, remove the outter bag and toss the inner bag (still sealed up) into your wort.

You could also boil up some of those plastic-covered ice cubes and then toss them in a sanitized bag into your freezer, I suppose.

Or get a cooler, fill it with ice water, and use gravity to siphon the ice water through a standard copper coil wort chiller.

McCall St. Brewer 03-28-2007 05:46 PM

You don't have a kitchen sink in a condo? Where do you live, Somalia? :)

Seriously, as other posters have indicated, it should be no problem to rig up your faucet to hook a hose to your wort chiller.

tbulger 03-28-2007 05:52 PM


Originally Posted by mcgeebc
live in a condo and don't have a hose or a kitchen sink that will allow me to connect a wort chiller. I have one of those sinks with a spray connection only.

I think he means that he has a faucet that is a spray head instead of the standard facuet, my parents have those, no screweing aparatus on it.

knarfks 03-28-2007 06:16 PM

If you know how to plumb and can do it without your condo owners knowing about it, you can splice into the cold water under the kitchen sink and put a T and a shut off valve. I thought about doing that, but ended up just buying a longer garden hose.

Zymurgrafi 03-28-2007 06:21 PM

I also have one of those pull-out sprayhead faucets. I thought I could not use anything with it, but sure enough, it screws off leaving a female thread. Just need an adapter. Look at it closely. Otherwise, try some of the previous suggestions. Or an ice bath and change the ice water often.

I have also seen setups with an icebath and then a motorized stirring mechanism attached to the brewpot lid to slowly stir the wort with the lid on the whole time. Keeps the wort moving so there it comes in contact with the cool wall of the pot. One I saw had a ice cream maker motor with a ss serving spoon attached.

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.