Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG Busch Lite

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
Make sure you mash low, like in the mid to high 140’s.
I would take the opposite approach and mash in the mid to upper 150's to add body

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
LansingX
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think your recipe is a good starting point for the style you are after. For mash temp, I would aim for 152 or higher as jetmac suggested to get a little body. If you are shooting for a dryer style, then definitely mash in the 148-150 degree range.

Back in June I tried my luck with a Czech Lager.
8 lbs Pilsner malt
.25 lb Carapils
Mashed at 152 degrees
1 oz Saaz @ 60 mins
1 oz Saaz @ 20 mins
Wyeast Budvar 2000

I know you said you can't do a lager yet, but when you get a chance you need to try it. The beer I brewed came out extremely light and flavorful.

There is wisdom in wine. There is freedom in beer. There is bacteria in water.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
ctrlpabrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe try something along the lines of a cream ale (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/crea...eam-ale-66503/)

I did one this summer (used fresh hops - first year harvest was ready and there weren't enough to make them worth freezing) and it turned out to be a really easy drinker. My BMC friends even enjoyed this one (unlike the stout and the pumpkin ale that is also ready now).

Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlpabrewer View Post
Maybe try something along the lines of a cream ale (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/crea...eam-ale-66503/)

I did one this summer (used fresh hops - first year harvest was ready and there weren't enough to make them worth freezing) and it turned out to be a really easy drinker. My BMC friends even enjoyed this one (unlike the stout and the pumpkin ale that is also ready now).
I was just going to post the same thing. It's a good recipe.

Also BYO magazine has some great resources/tips for brewing that style of beer. A lot of them are written by JAMIL (so evidently HE doesn't care to bash what folks want to brew.)

Classic American Pilsner: Style Profile

Lager: Pale Pilsner to Malty Munich

Make a Great Lager

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac View Post
I would take the opposite approach and mash in the mid to upper 150's to add body
Didn’t know body was a characteristic of Busch Light or similar American Macro lagers.

If OP is planning to use an ale yeast, I would think you’d want to thin out the beer as much as possible.

Sorry, the above two sentences are more like poorly phrased questions… I don’t know the answers for sure.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
I'm certainly not one to bash BMC- I enjoy the occasional Bud Light. But the reality is that it's simply cheaper to buy a 30 pack than to try to clone it.
I can make 60 light american lagers for about 15 bucks. Plus, it is an interesting challenge

на здравје!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #17
9Frogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have made BM's C of 3 Crops for cookouts and parties with friends with good luck. Most of the population was raised with, and enjoys, the typical BMC offerings. I brew what they like, along with what I like. Good food, good beer, and good times. Don't judge them, occasionally you can convert them!

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her" WC Fields

Quick Reply