Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG Brown Ale, looking for some ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yesterday I brewed the recipe for the DFH India Brown that was posted here.
5.5 gal batch
12lbs. 2 row
.75 lbs Amber malt (I used biscuit malt)
.5 lbs Crystal 60
.5 Chocolate Malt
.13 lb Roasted barley (2oz)
.5 ibs Dark Brown Sugar (10 min left in boil)
1 oz warrior 15% (60)
1 oz Vangaurd (20)
1 oz Vangaurd flameout
I used Hallertauer because I have a pound of them and beersmith said it was a good sub for vangaurd
Wyeast 1187 Ringwood ale 1800ml starter.

mash at 154 for 60. Estimated OG 1.067. I got 1.075. It is chugging along nicely downstairs!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
Frank99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just made a brown ale that came out pretty good: I added Victory and Munich malt and it gave it a nice, biscuity, nutty flavor. I'll have to post the recipe -I also used a combo of Tetnanger and Hallertau hops.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #13
permo
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I am brewing this up tonight, I have no idea how it is going to turn out. I know it is a lot of specialty grains, but I think it's going to workout well. I am hopping mine with centennial and chinook in an IPA type of fashion.

13 pounds two row
4 oz biscuit
4 oz special roast
4 oz Simpsons medium crystal C50
4 oz Simpsons dark crystal C75
4 oz Simpsons Extra Dark Crystal C150
4 oz Crisp Chocolate
4 oz Crisp Pale Chocolate
4 oz Caramel 40

Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Several folks have brewed my brown and really like it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/old-...w-grain-61591/

Weverman's had a brand new brown malt that has potential, CARABROWN® MALT

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Pre...letter.htm#one

The pdf
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Ass..._Carabrown.pdf

I actually used a half pound in a ginger orange marmalade Begian wit I brewed, keeping it around 5% of the grain bill, to get an orange color out of it. I'm excited about it.

The owner of the homebrewshop who ordered it, said he took the other half pound home and used it in a brown.

Looking forward to working it into my brown ale.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

From the recipe, it looks like you (speaking to OP) are going for more of a English-y brown, so I submit my nut brown recipe, which is coming up on my "to brew" list again soon. It's sorta my attempt at the Sam Smith's Nut Brown, one of my fav brown ales.

5.5 Gallon Batch, 75% efficiency

9# marris otter
5oz English Crystal 55L
4oz Brown Malt
3oz UK chocolate malt

1oz EKGs@FWH
.5oz EKGs@60
.5oz Fuggles@30

Mash at 155 for 60 mins
WLP037 (Sam Smith Strain)

If you can't find 037 (might not be in season) WLP005 is my choice for brown ales, but pretty much any other english strain would work great.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 05-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I'm working on a brown ale recipe now, just trying to get the flavors to balance right. I've been using 2 row pale malt, but I think I'm going to give maris otter a try.

One thing I definitely like in the recipe is taking a small amount (2-4oz) of pale malt and roasting it the night before to make biscuit malt. It gives the beer a good, fresh biscuit flavor to the brown ale that balances nicely with the chocolate malt. May be something to think about.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
BrokenDog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
I'm working on a brown ale recipe now, just trying to get the flavors to balance right. I've been using 2 row pale malt, but I think I'm going to give maris otter a try.

One thing I definitely like in the recipe is taking a small amount (2-4oz) of pale malt and roasting it the night before to make biscuit malt. It gives the beer a good, fresh biscuit flavor to the brown ale that balances nicely with the chocolate malt. May be something to think about.
That's an interesting idea, I might try that. What do you do, about 10-15 minutes at 350 on a cookie sheet?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #18
tamoore
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post

Humm... How much/long do you have to roast this? I like the idea....

On tap:
ESB
My best IPA
Paddlers Pale Ale

On Deck:
3% Summer Session IPA
SNPA inspired pale ale.

Brewing this week:
Irish Red.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #19
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I use these two sites for reference:

http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Me...roasting.shtml

http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/0...ng-your-malts/

There's a lot of threads on here talking about different processes and more info on making crystal malts, which is a little more complex.

For true biscuit malt you want to roast at 300F for an hour, stirring every 15-30 minutes. You can get a little less color and biscuit taste my roasting for less time, so if you don't want to add more grain but still get a little toasty flavor you can roast a few ounces of base grain for 15-20 minutes. If you want actual biscuit malt, I'd do no more than 1/4 lb but I know some people use up to a pound of victory or biscuit, so it's definitely your call on how much biscuit flavor you want. However, you probably shouldn't use more than 15% in your grain bill.

I've roasted milled grain, so if you don't have a mill you can still roast. I wouldn't advise trying to do anything that requires wetting the grain unless you can do it before you mill your grains.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 AM   #20
BrokenDog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 21

So I decided that instead of making some big changes to my recipe, I would do a few small things and see how that worked out. This is the plan tonight:
-4oz of Otter roasted at 350 for 30 mins
-mash for 60 min instead of 90
-1oz fuggles 60 min
-.5oz fuggles 20 min
-.5oz fuggles dry hop
- No Irish moss

These are pretty small changes but I am happy with the beer right now, just tried another and it has gotten even better, maybe just needed a bit more time. I figure, why not try to prefect a good thing instead of reinvent the wheel.

Quick Reply