Originally Posted by ILuvIPA
1.071 post boil - I was planning to hit a FG of 1.017 (a pretty big IPA.) But since I had to pitch the Windsor instead of Nottingham I don't think it will attenuate down that far. Kind of a bummer after all that work to have the wrong yeast!
But I'm not going to worry about it too much - I'm guessing the Windsor will finish in the upper 20's leaving me with a much heavier, sweeter brew than I'd planned. . .I might try to force it a bit - when the ferment is about 1/2 - 2/3 done I might try feeding it some table sugar and see if I can get close to my original target FG.
Ditto on the batch sparge - I used 1.3qt/pound in the mash but only did a single batch sparge with enough to make up my total volume. When I cleaned out the tun I could see I left a lot of sugars (the dead space water looked like wort.) Also I only let the sparge sit 10 minutes. So next time I'll try a double sparge with half the water in each and let the sparge sit a bit longer.
Anyway, I'm happy with the brew day. Learned a lot about putting into practice what I've been reading!
Congrat's on the first AG batch. How did you cook before, partial, extract? Did have a longer cook day than usual?
Also cooked my first AG batch & double batch today. Lots firsts & lots of changing & learning on the fly.
Usually cook partial, and typical cook day was about 4.5 hours. Started around 12:00, finished at about 7:00.
Made an amber ale, hit target gravity (1.062) in the end, no additions, 75% efficency, & found out 24.25 lbs of grains & 7.5 gallons of water will max out a 10 gallon cooler. Missed the mash in temp (missed by about 5 degree's), but hit the mash out temp.
First time using a pump (wow, makes transfering so simple), used QD cam locks on all hoses (everyone should be using these things, talk about simple), & used Therminator wort chiller (I didn't think it was possible to cool wort that quick).
All in all, some things to fine tune, but not as bad as I thought it would be.