New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG Brew And Grain Fines In Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Wacorulz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sediment In the Primary With AG

I am on my 3rd AG brew and I have found although my wort runs clear out of the lauter tun i get a lot of sediment in my primary. Is this just the difference in AG vs extract? Does it hurt anything to have the extra sediment? It isn't coming from the hops because I used a hop bag on this batch.

Last edited by Wacorulz; 07-21-2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: I'm Stupid

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Is this the title to your new book, or are you just a big fan of capital letters?

Old 07-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
Is this the title to your new book, or are you just a big fan of capital letters?
Ha! Funny...but here's a real answer: I don't know, nor have I ever heard about a "mash pad". However, I've heard about a "maxi pad", but that isn't something you want in your beer. I'm currently using a copper manifold in my MLT, but prior to that I used a SS braid and that worked fine. However, I would need to "vorlauf" or recycle the first few quarts of wort back into the MLT until my wort would be clear of husts and bits of grain. I think on average, I would need to recycle about 6-8 quarts befoer the runnings were clear enough for my liking.

How many quarts would you say you recycle, or are you doing a vorlauf at all?

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 07-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
Wacorulz
Recipes 

I recycle three to four quarts or until it runs clear. I think what I am seeing is more grain dust than husk or fines. In a five gallon glass carboy I am seeing three inches of sediment. May be normal but to me it seems like a lot. Thanks for the response.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacorulz View Post
I recycle three to four quarts or until it runs clear. I think what I am seeing is more grain dust than husk or fines. In a five gallon glass carboy I am seeing three inches of sediment. May be normal but to me it seems like a lot. Thanks for the response.
That would likely be the cold break. It is just stuff falling out when you cool the beer. I think most of mine makes it into the fermenter and I could care less. You should be fine.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:33 PM   #6
squeekysheep
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you could do a whirlpool and then rack from the edge to get rid of some of that

Battle Axe brewing

Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 AM   #7
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 124

+1 to whirlpool. If you have a CFC, as soon as you turn off your flame, gently stir in a circular pattern, creating a small whirlpool in the middle of your kettle. Do this for 20-30 seconds, then let it rest.

If you use an IC, then you can whirlpool gently throughout chilling, and it should help improve your cooling times.

Then, just rack your wort from the side of the kettle, avoiding the "mound" you just created in the bottom of the kettle.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 07-24-2008, 12:52 AM   #8
Hagen

Recipes 

Also, remember a good portion of what you see dropping out in the primary is yeast. Some siphon off the trub, others just dump it in the fermenter. It's really just a matter of preference. Either technique will still yeild a great beer.

I've never worried about trub in the fermenter in 13 years of brewing, and never had a real issue. Even the lightest styles go into the glass perfectly clear, and in some cases, brilliant.

Too much too fast to keep track of...

Quick Reply