Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG brew day in less than 3 hours... possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
badmajon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default AG brew day in less than 3 hours... possible?

My goal is to complete an AG brew in 3 hours, start to finish. 1 hour mash, 1 hour boil.

It's the other parts that seem to get me... My last AG brewday was 5 hours. Perfect for a relaxing afternoon, but less than relaxing when you've got kids screaming in the house etc etc.

Does anyone accomplish this? What are your steps? For some reason, my brew days just take a long time, I don't even know what I spend all my time doing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 31

BIAB can be done easily in 3 hours.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

I think 3.5 hours is more reasonable for me. I've done it, with a simple batch sparge. If you heat water, mash in, then heat the sparge water during the mash, you can probably do it in a tad bit over three hours. You could also increase the amount of grain you're using and do a no-sparge method if you were really pressed for time.

I've found that heating up the sparge water during the mash then draining the runnings is pretty quick. Then adding one round of sparge water, stirring like a crazy person and then draining takes less than 10 minutes. I've started the boil kettle onto the flame while doing the batch sparge. That way it comes to a boil faster.

You can mash less than an hour, if you check for conversion- I've had conversion in as little as 40 minutes when I checked! It depends on mash temperature, really, but many times a warmer temperature mash (153 or higher) will be converted within 45 minutes or less.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The only way I can see it being possible is to either use an on-demand water heater or use a timer and temp controller to pre-heat all the water you'll need. Also factor in the time it takes to chill wort which is harder in the summer.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3685 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 3187

I haven't done it in 3. 4 I can do. I hope that doesn't include cleanup.

• Cut down mash time to 45m
  • cut down boil to 45m
  • batch sparge
  • get the most efficient chiller you can get (imo, plate chiller)
  • night before: pre-measure hops, mill grain, have brewsheet printed, fill HLT with strike water; basically stage everything

I find that the difference between my ideal time and actual is spent screwing around with the sparge. I don't have problems there, but I tend to lose at least a half hour there.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I can easily heat 2.5-3 gallons (strike water) of water to +/- 165 degrees in 15 minutes. Dough in and mash while heating sparge water.

15 min preheat,1 hour mash, 10 minute sparge with 175 degree water, 15 minutes to boil, 1 hour boil, Clean up and sanitize during the boil, +/-15 minutes to chill, 1 minute of oxygen and pitch.

You have to be on your A game, but it can be done.

Bull

Old 07-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
waddsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My best time was just under 4 hours. One of the things I typically do is pre-boil my water the night before, and when it cools down to about 190° I put it in my tun. It still needs to be reheated some the next day, but not as much as tap water.

Kegged: Russian Breakfast Stout, Super Galena DIPA
Bottled: Dark Water RIS, 2010 Cider
2011 Gallons: 120 Gone but not forgotten: I Was a Teenage Ponger, High 5 IPA, Last Minute IPA, Skull Paint IPA, Dreadnaught clone, Calypso, Seconds Be Fast, Impaler, Double Impaler, Saint Sinister IPA, Gobbler IPA

Old 07-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am in the process of working out a Turbo All Grain step by step process and when I get it figured out, I'll post here to help all the other stressed out dads (or those that just want to get it over with). I do enjoy brewing and like I said, if the time is mine, a 5 hour brew day is fine.

I looked at my logs and I see one of my major bottlenecks is chilling and areation. I use a counterflow chiller that is 3/8" inside- it doesn't clog much (that's why I chose it over a plate chiller) but it takes forever to actually run wort through it, like 30 minutes for 10 gallons. Oxygenation takes a while too, I use the aquarium pump method which takes about 15 minutes (and that's kinda low) for each fermentor (I use two brew pails).

Would switching to a plate chiller speed my process?

I could try to make a sanke fermentor, and buy a pure oxygen setup. That would cut out the need to areate twice (two buckets) and areation would be like, 5 minutes.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmajon View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, I am in the process of working out a Turbo All Grain step by step process and when I get it figured out, I'll post here to help all the other stressed out dads (or those that just want to get it over with). I do enjoy brewing and like I said, if the time is mine, a 5 hour brew day is fine.

I looked at my logs and I see one of my major bottlenecks is chilling and areation. I use a counterflow chiller that is 3/8" inside- it doesn't clog much (that's why I chose it over a plate chiller) but it takes forever to actually run wort through it, like 30 minutes for 10 gallons. Oxygenation takes a while too, I use the aquarium pump method which takes about 15 minutes (and that's kinda low) for each fermentor (I use two brew pails).

Would switching to a plate chiller speed my process?

I could try to make a sanke fermentor, and buy a pure oxygen setup. That would cut out the need to areate twice (two buckets) and areation would be like, 5 minutes.
For chilling, a cheaper set up might be a a prechiller. Prechiller in an icebath, through the CFC. If you can splash/aerate coming out of the chiller, that would be enough. I've seen some venturi type pipes coming out of the chiller into the fermenter, and that aerates as well as (or better than) an aquarium pump. Then you could chill and aerate in one quick step.

My tapwater is cold, so chilling is fast for me, but for warmer tap water folks, even a plate chiller won't be that helpful.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
hops2it
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I think if I could streamline the cleanup process alone, I could probably reduce my brewday significantly. I feel like that's where my time loss occurs and it makes the day feel disjointed. Any tips from those who have streamlined it? Mash tun is a 10 gal cooler, IC, no pump.

Quick Reply