Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Aeration / Olive Oil / Efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
Forbein11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aeration / Olive Oil / Efficiency

Went to a wedding yesterday and met a brewer for a good sized brewery (Very well known) in New England. I was talking to him about brewing and he asked how I aerated my wort. I told him that I've done fine using a sanitized spoon and mixing the hell out of it till my hand hurts too much to continue. He then told me not to worry about it. He said to either put one drop, no more, of olive oil into the beer or take a sanitized rag and wipe a ring of olive oil around the bucket and then pitch the yeast. Said it builds strong cell walls for the yeast and no aeration needed. No need to sanitize. I've never heard this before. Anyone else? Sounds odd, but considering the source, I'm going to give it a go this week.

Also, told him I was trying to get my efficiency up (about 68-70%). He said they plan most everything for 70% and big beers for approximately 60%. Made me feel better about my process.

On Tap: Centennial Pale Ale, Darth Lager, Centennial/Simcoe Red, 3C IPA, Amarillo Oatmeal Brown, Sweet Melisa's Honey Lager
To Do: Wicked Pissa Pumpkin, Amarillo Oatmeal Brown
Bottled: Hair of the Dog - RIS, Wicked Pissa Pumpkin

Side by Side Fermentation Chamber/Kegerator Build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 02:59 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That suprises me. You would think with the amount of grain that breweries go through, they'd want to improve their efficiency to 90+.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-24-2009, 03:03 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Oh god not this again.

If you look down to the similar threads box, you will see all the discussions we've had on that.

The "drop" you would need for your 5 gallon batch, you couldn't measure without precision scientific instruments. It's not a "drop" it is more moeasure in microns.

You will find that it is pretty impractical for a homebrewer to do, and that theory has been pretty shot down anyway...

There are much better ways to aerate that either adding oliveoil, or even beating the heck out of your arm.

Oxygen bottle and airstone

paint stirrer on a drill

The http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...-gadget-68218/

And the old faithful method of simply Shaking the carboys....

Warning to the new brewer

Before it progresses any further, once again I am going to add a Caveat to any n00b lurkers that any discussion which is to follow is just a theory. The process is just a theory as well, one that has little practical use to the homebrewer...there are plenty of better ways for us to get enough air into our beer, including an O2 bottle, aquarium pump, stirring with a slotted spoon, shaking, etc....

Please don't do like one of your predecesors on this forum who on their very first batch decided that he would try it based on one of these threads, and SINCE in his mind, that if 1 drop worked, a half bottle must work better....

Then of course posted an is my beer ruined thread....and forgot to mention for like an entire day's troubleshooting between several of us that he had dumped several TBS of oil in his beer.

Please if you are new to brewing, and don't understand the process of fermentation, what oxygen does to your wort and yeast, if you're just starting brewing, if you have only a couple beers under your belt...Please pass this thread by, or take it with a grain of salt....You have been warned!

So if your beer does end up oily and crappy, please don't start a thread wondering why your beer is ruined, just know that you shoulda listenend.

You may proceed.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-24-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Although we've had this discussion, has anyone actually done it? I can't remember.
If we are going to accept all other things like no secondary, no chill brewing, etc... we should probably give this a shot.

Maybe that means I should step up to the plate and to it. I remember reading the article about it in BYO and it recommended using a paper clip to dip in the oil.

Again, it really might not be worth the effort, but no reason to knock it until someone tries.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:12 AM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 7

True true... who here has tried it?

Old 08-24-2009, 03:16 AM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
True true... who here has tried it?
The guy that dumped half a bottle in his fermenter on his first batch well over a year ago and started an is my beer ruined thread, actually.

I dare you to.

Kaiser and a couple science wonks did a decent job of reading the thesis and noticing the holes in the argument, and the flaw in the experiment. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/thes...-method-57627/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

pjj2ba and Kaiser throw around words like Ergosterol and Acetyl CoA in discussing it here;

And a couple people mentioned trying it too iirc

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/high...ive-oil-55404/

Old 08-24-2009, 03:22 AM   #8
Forbein11
Recipes 

Now, I'm not sure if I should try it. I've never had problems with fermentation using my methods. If so, only a small amount on a paper clip. The brewer was convinced it was a good idea and uses it when he brews at home and not at /for work.

On Tap: Centennial Pale Ale, Darth Lager, Centennial/Simcoe Red, 3C IPA, Amarillo Oatmeal Brown, Sweet Melisa's Honey Lager
To Do: Wicked Pissa Pumpkin, Amarillo Oatmeal Brown
Bottled: Hair of the Dog - RIS, Wicked Pissa Pumpkin

Side by Side Fermentation Chamber/Kegerator Build

Old 08-24-2009, 03:22 AM   #9
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I only ask because science has punched a lot of holes in the process of not chilling wort as well, among other things.

I do find it hard to beleive that this brewery is OK with 60-70% eff. when brewing on such a large scale.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:36 AM   #10
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I remember this, but I don't remember any one trying it.

I have access to pipette's down to .1µl, so I could do an experiment adding vary small amounts of Olive oil to a starter, easy.

Let's think up an experiment, an prove it once an for all.

Quick Reply