New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > aerating/oxygenating- what's your method?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
vera
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default aerating/oxygenating- what's your method?

My last couple of brews have been slow to ferment out. I keep them in a fermenter, and I am a nazi at temp control. Both of my last brews slowed down significantly until I finally ended up raising the temp on them. I am thinking that perhaps I am not aerating my higher gravity beers enough. I have converted a corny keg into a fermenter. I'm curious to hear from my fellow brew community what your methods are.
Prost!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

I will likely get an O2 system later, but for now I just drop the chilled wort from the CFC into a fermenter, and then pour it viciously into another bucket and back. Last brewday I had Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde bubbling in under 12 hours using dry yeast (rehydrated).

Old 08-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
jamboparty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

On lower gravity beers (< 1.060), I usually stick a sanitized funnel on the carboy and pour on the side of that. It gives me a pretty good mixing action as it funnels down and splashes into the carboy. While I'm doing this, I pour my rehydrated dry yeast into the funnel as well and use the wort to makes sure it all gets washed down.

After that, the splashing around involved in carrying the carboy down to my basement does the rest. Most beers take off in about 4 to 6 hours for me and fermentation seems to go very well.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I dump all my beers from the kettle into a bucket fermenter through a double strainer, which agitates it up good. I then attach a paint stirrer (which I also use as a degasser for our wine) to a power drill and beat that around the surface to stir up a nice foam.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 18

O2 stone for large batches that I can't shake.

For 3-4 gallon batches, I take advantage of the headspace in the 5-6 gallon carboy. I pour the wort from kettle to carboy through a filtered funnel, cover with foil, then vigorously shake the carboy w/wort for 60-90 seconds non-stop. Add yeast slurry & airlock.

Both methods have worked just fine for me, regardless of OG ranges of 1.051 and 1.094.

(I keep my outdoor brewing setup at a friends house down the block. When I brew indoors at my apartment, my setup is more simple.)

Old 08-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
MedicMike
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I usually pour my cooled wort into one of my 6.5 gallon buckets with enough cold water to top up to 5 gallons. Then I pour it back and forth between my other sanitized 6.5 gallon buckets about 4-5 times. That seems to aerate it well. Then I pitch my starter and seal it up. So far, so good with this method.

www.starsbarsbrewing.blogspot.com

Old 08-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera View Post
I am thinking that perhaps I am not aerating my higher gravity beers enough. I have converted a corny keg into a fermenter. I'm curious to hear from my fellow brew community what your methods are.
Prost!
During the wort chilling the O2 is injected before it enters the fermenter.
For high gravity beers I inject another dose within the first 12 hours directly into the fermenter.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 08-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusB View Post
During the wort chilling the O2 is injected before it enters the fermenter.
For high gravity beers I inject another dose within the first 12 hours directly into the fermenter.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB
Doing it the good old fashioned way!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
a6ladd
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I ferment in a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket. After my wort goes through the couterflow chiller I simply put the lid on the bucket and begin rocking it back and forth. I will do this for 5 minutes or so (while covering the grommet on the lid ) give it a rest and do it one more time. Ive never had a problem after aerating in this fashion, most of my brew begin fermentation within the first 8 hours!

Bottles: SMaSH Maris/Citra, Munich Dunkel, Independence Day Imperial Stout, Cascadian Dark Ale, Surly Bender Clone
Kegs: Empty
Primary: LFA Lime
Secondary: Bells Two Heated clone

The Canning Room Brewery

Old 08-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleHollow View Post
I then attach a paint stirrer (which I also use as a degasser for our wine) to a power drill and beat that around the surface to stir up a nice foam.
This is what I do except that I put the stirrer all the way to the bottom of the fermenter so that I get a huge vortex in the wort.

Quick Reply