Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Advice on water treatment please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
BOBTHEukBREWER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Advice on water treatment please

My local water supply is hardness as calcium 109, pH = 7.44, nitrate 16.3 micrograms per litre, phosphorus 1150 microgrammes per litre, fluoride 0.261 milligrams per litre, sodium 36.2 milligrams per litre.

How should i adjust this for an english style all grain 4% bitter style beer, please ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What are your magnesium, sulfate and bicarbonate levels? (and is 109 your calcium in ppm or in "as caco3")

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
BOBTHEukBREWER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Regret that is all the information the water company publish. Hardness is as calcium, and is 109 milligrams per litre.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well without the bicarbonate numbers you can't calculate residual alkalinity, so no idea what PH you'll get out of the mash.

With limited information I'd either #1 just use your water and buy some five star 5.2 stabilizer (Which buffers your mash PH to 5.2 where it should be)
Or #2 Buy spring water from the store and use that (I'd still get the 5.2 stabilizer)

My water has a high residual alkalinity (Think Dublin) so stouts go well for me. If you have high calcium but enough bicarbonates to even it out you could do nice pale ales (Burton on trent). Most people don't bother to much with water profiling, but if you are at one of the extremes then certain styles will turn out better for you than others.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

+1 on the 5.2 Stabilizer. I found that I have a pretty high pH in my Well Water, but it is very soft. I used the 5.2 Stablizer for the first time last weekend and my mash pH was right were it needed to be. I also use Gypsum to increase the hardness of my water.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
drayman86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

"The more you overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
-Montgomery Scott

It appears that your tap water is not too hard, with an acceptable pH. Your water results are probably listing total calcium as ppm. Your water is fairly soft with a neutral pH, similar to mine. I use absolutely no water treatment whatsoever, except a splash of chlorine/chloramine removers.

Don't stress about you water; it's fine. If you'd like to add the pH stabilizer, great. I'd concentrate more efforts on getting a good grind for your grain, hitting your mash temps, and conducting the sparge that gets you the best results.

Quick Reply