Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Advice on using a cooler MLT for a Mini-Mash kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
KerryD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Advice on using a cooler MLT for a Mini-Mash kit

I've been reading a lot of the threads but I wanted to be sure.... instead of following the standard AHS instructions for mini-mashing that came with this kit... which are basically steeping the grains in a bag... could I just use the 48QT Mash Tun I've built and do a batch sparge on the grains, boil 45 mins, add extract and boil for 15 more minutes?

My grain bill is 4lbs.. I was thinking 7-8 qts of water at 155 for an hour and then sparge with enough water to get me to roughly 6.5 gallons and then start boiling.

Am I screwing up?

Primary I: Barley Wine Divine #6 attempt
Primary II: Saint Arnold's Elissa Clone
3 Gal BB: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Next up: .....
Bottled: Wing and a Prayer IPA, AHS Blue Moon, Centennial Blond, Yoopers Dogfish 60 Clone, Texas Wheat, SN Celebration Ale clone, Ed's Haus Pale Ale, 6 variations of Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
earlyd
Recipes 

The thing I would worry about is not having enough grain to act as a filter. The grain bes itself will filter out a lot of particles. With such a small amout of grain is a big mash tun you might get some grain particles in the wort.

~d

Old 02-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did this with 2 of my minimash batches and I think It came out fine. I would suggest plugging these numbers into something like Beersmith and get the exact numbers for your mash/sparge.

Good luck!
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryD View Post
I've been reading a lot of the threads but I wanted to be sure.... instead of following the standard AHS instructions for mini-mashing that came with this kit... which are basically steeping the grains in a bag... could I just use the 48QT Mash Tun I've built and do a batch sparge on the grains, boil 45 mins, add extract and boil for 15 more minutes?

My grain bill is 4lbs.. I was thinking 7-8 qts of water at 155 for an hour and then sparge with enough water to get me to roughly 6.5 gallons and then start boiling.

Am I screwing up?
You can certainly use a mash tun, but keep in mind that the AHS kits contain only about 3 lbs of grain, give or take. By adding all of the extract late and doing a full boil you'll end up with a very dilute wort, resulting in much higher hops optimization than the recipe was formulated for, which may unbalance your beer. So you'll want to do some calculations and reduce the bittering addition by an appropriate amount.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
KerryD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, I think I'll still do the mash tun but add the extract from the start.

Thanks!

Primary I: Barley Wine Divine #6 attempt
Primary II: Saint Arnold's Elissa Clone
3 Gal BB: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Next up: .....
Bottled: Wing and a Prayer IPA, AHS Blue Moon, Centennial Blond, Yoopers Dogfish 60 Clone, Texas Wheat, SN Celebration Ale clone, Ed's Haus Pale Ale, 6 variations of Apfelwein

Quick Reply