New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Advice For A Unique Situation (large batch and all grain transition)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 01:45 AM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFarewell View Post
It's just a question of timeline for me... I'm only able to brew once ever couple of months and to spend 6-10 hours on a batch of 5 gallons is a pain... Especially as I have an 500 gallon steam jacketed self mixing system waiting to be converted to beer use

I understand that it's a large batch and that a lot of things will come into play, was just hoping to get some constructive help and direction from those of you who know vastly more than I do.
Just as an aside, it takes me less than 5 hours to brew 10 gallons of beer. If you're spending 6-10 hours on 5 gallons, you've got some technique issues that won't be solved with going bigger!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 05:33 AM   #12
EricFarewell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoop View Post
Just as an aside, it takes me less than 5 hours to brew 10 gallons of beer. If you're spending 6-10 hours on 5 gallons, you've got some technique issues that won't be solved with going bigger!
Haha truth man... I'm usually making 2-3 batches at once and cleaning is 50% of the time...
(though I certainly have a TON to learn about technique etc)

Really appreciate all of your feedback!
I know this is a bit of an odd thread, but it should be a fun project. I have a great fermentation room and an entire soup cannery to brew in... Eventually we'd love to have a brew pub, for now I just do my best to keep my family and friends drinking good beers

Last edited by EricFarewell; 11-18-2010 at 05:40 AM.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
ekul
Recipes 

I reckon get a stainless cage built and a skyhook w/pulley so you can go super biab.

And then nochill it all. That way you don't have to worry about fermenting all of it at once, so you can just use a normal fermenting fridge. 49 gallons will fit in 8 cubes. Plus nochill is way easier/cheaper than trying to chill that much wort. Cubes store for ages so you won't have to worry about making beer for ages.

Plus if you 'cube hop' you can make a heap of different beers out of the same wort.

So its like a win win win situation

Old 11-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
mychalg9
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just out of curiosity, where will you be storing all the finished product? And will you be kegging or bottling?

Old 11-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
Eddiebosox
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Not to be a stick in the mud but the federal regulations for homebrewing limits you to brewing 100 gallons for an individual and 200 gallons for a household of more than one adult per year. So you'd be running afoul of the law pretty qucik.

Not that I'd tell anyone....

Bottled
Scottish 60 shilling
Black Butte Porter clone
British Bitter (split into two batches with Thames valley and Burton ale yeast)

Old 11-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #16
lostboysbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiebosox View Post
Not to be a stick in the mud but the federal regulations for homebrewing limits you to brewing 100 gallons for an individual and 200 gallons for a household of more than one adult per year. So you'd be running afoul of the law pretty qucik.

Not that I'd tell anyone....
at that point i would spring for the microbrewery license......its something like $50 and then you could actually sell your beer (restrictions).........just a thought tho if you are going to make a legit system like you are saying, might as well start up a company........

Planning:Shadow Chaser Amber, ARRRR P.A., Oktoberfest (Yeast tests)
Primary:
Secondary:
Lagering:
Bottled/Kegged:Hook's Revenge 18.7% IIPA, Cinnamon Witbier, Blueberry Witbier

Old 11-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #17
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboysbrew View Post
at that point i would spring for the microbrewery license......its something like $50 and then you could actually sell your beer (restrictions).........just a thought tho if you are going to make a legit system like you are saying, might as well start up a company........
There is a bit more to it then paying 50.00. You'd be taxed on all the beer you produce.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #18
lostboysbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
There is a bit more to it then paying 50.00. You'd be taxed on all the beer you produce.
technicalities.......like i said, just throwin it out there.......

Planning:Shadow Chaser Amber, ARRRR P.A., Oktoberfest (Yeast tests)
Primary:
Secondary:
Lagering:
Bottled/Kegged:Hook's Revenge 18.7% IIPA, Cinnamon Witbier, Blueberry Witbier

Old 11-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #19
Demfer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFarewell View Post
It's just a question of timeline for me... I'm only able to brew once ever couple of months and to spend 6-10 hours on a batch of 5 gallons is a pain... Especially as I have an 500 gallon steam jacketed self mixing system waiting to be converted to beer use

I understand that it's a large batch and that a lot of things will come into play, was just hoping to get some constructive help and direction from those of you who know vastly more than I do.
Is this a bioreactor?

Quick Reply