Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Advice on some new equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #11
raven77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backporchbrewery
I'd highly suggest DIY and a 10gal setup (even for 5 gal batches). It's just unscrewing a valve and screwing your s/s one in; pretty much that simple.
Here's an exp of cost breakdown:
2x 10gal coolers - $80 shipped Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F6SHTK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=hombrefin-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creative ASIN=B000F6SHTK

2x s/s bulk head with valves - $45 cooler bulkheads
s/s braid for mashtun (screws right in) - $15 (unless you make your own) s/s braid w/barb
add +$5 shipping from bargainfittings
total $145 for a 10gal setup. That would leave you money for a bigger aluminum brew pot like Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Winware-Professional-Aluminum-40-Quart-Stockpot/dp/B001CHKL68/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_2 and enough for a new burner (that NB burner is awesome, I have one.. heavy duty and will hold a full keggle no problem).
How much are the valves that go into the bulkheads though. I think that would probably bring me to the price of the 7 gallon kit plus the sparge arm. I don't know how many brews u would do over 17lbs of grain and I could always do a partial mash if need be. I guess I'm leaning to the 7 gallon kit just wanted to know how many people had it and liked it. Also any other thoughts on burners?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Backporchbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That price includes the valves. It's $11.50 for the bulkhead, then +$11 for a valve added. Also looks like the kits come with brass valves.

Oh, and 17lbs of grain would fill that 7gal to the brim. I just like the 10gal because, it leaves you plenty of room for pretty much any kind of beer you would ever want to make. I would never want to get a stuck mash in a completely full mash tun. Just my personal preference on the 10gal though. Homebrewing.org has some decent priced kits if you just feel better buying it all together from one place.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
CidCitrus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 25

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-...-needs-123585/

I made a ten gallon cooler MLT and batch sparge. I used Flyguy's DIY instructions and I think the total came to around $70 for the whole setup. I don't really need the 10 gallons for most of the beers I make, but it's nice to not be limited by my equipment.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #14
raven77
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backporchbrewery
That price includes the valves. It's $11.50 for the bulkhead, then +$11 for a valve added. Also looks like the kits come with brass valves.

Oh, and 17lbs of grain would fill that 7gal to the brim. I just like the 10gal because, it leaves you plenty of room for pretty much any kind of beer you would ever want to make. I would never want to get a stuck mash in a completely full mash tun. Just my personal preference on the 10gal though. Homebrewing.org has some decent priced kits if you just feel better buying it all together from one place.
Does anyone have any experience with homebrewing.org's kit? I may do that and just buy the sparge arm separatley.

Quick Reply