The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Advice for IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
carlsonderek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey all--need sim advice
I'm planning a white IPA. I use pelletized hops, at least in the boil I do, and last time I used a decent amount I noticed there was a much larger amount if trub at the bottom of my boil kettle while siphoning off the the fermenter. Makes sense, given the amount of protein in hops. This made for about a 4 gallon batch. With the upcoming IPA my question is: if I want to be left with a usable 5 gallons is there anything I can do other than increasing my boil volume to be left with 5 gallons after subtracting the trub? I feel like increasing the volume leads to decreased gravity unless I also increase the mash quantities. Not to mention I'm already almost outgrowing my kettle. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
matt2778
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You may get some of the volume back using a hop spider. It's pretty surprising how volume eight ounces of pelletized hops absorb, but at least with a spider you can let the hops drain back into your kettle.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
carlsonderek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you. So by drain back into the kettle, you mean remove the spider let it drain, then siphon. Sounds simple enough. Off to research more I go. This is a good start thanks!

Old 03-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
JoseLima
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonderek View Post
Thank you. So by drain back into the kettle, you mean remove the spider let it drain, then siphon. Sounds simple enough. Off to research more I go. This is a good start thanks!
That is one way to do it.. What u can also do is.... Increase amour of boil water so when it evaporates it will leave you closer to five.. Remember water evaporates not the sugars from grain.. If you are still worried increase water and grain bill a bit... Ultimately its about practicing..

JoseLima

Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
carlsonderek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes increasing the volume is one way to do it and I've already thought about that but I would need a bigger boil kettle I am considering buying a new kettle that would allow me to do this so we will have to see

Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
guldalian
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Could make a higher than target gravity wort at 4 gal and then top off to 5 if you don't have room in your kettle.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
carlsonderek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guldalian
Could make a higher than target gravity wort at 4 gal and then top off to 5 if you don't have room in your kettle.
Hmm. Also a good idea. Didn't think of this one as obvious as it is. Thank you

Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
billl
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 7

+1 to hop spider.

Also, If space is an issue in the kettle, you can always just add water as you boil down. That will avoid the issues with a more concentrated wort.

Quick Reply