Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Advice on adding mango to beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
kef300
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 37

Default Advice on adding mango to beer

I'm thinking about adding mango to either an APA or California Common. I was thinking of pureeing the mango, boiling it to pausterize it and adding it to the bottom of my secondary fermenter before racking.

Has anyone had any experience with brewing with mango? Is this the best way to go? What about adding it to the end of the boil.

Also, how much would be a good amount to add per gallon? I've seen some websites suggesting 1lb/gal but that seems like too much. I want a hint of mango but not an overpowering mango taste.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Never tried using mango, but your plan sounds good. Be careful you don't scorch during the boiling process. You could probably steam the cubes before you purée, but boiling works too. I think there are a couple beersmith articles about various fruit additions and much much to use. By adding to the secondary you should preserve the flavor of the mango, I would worry about adding to the boil that you would end up with a horrendous mess and boil off a lot of the flavor compounds, but maybe not. Midwest brewing also has some useful info about using fruit.

As long as the skin is intact on the fruit, and your equipment is clean, you might be able to bypass the boiling step, or steep the cubes in hot water without boiling to pastuerize for 10-15 minutes. Most of the contaminants will be on the skin. An overnight freeze would probably kill most of them, scrub the fruit well and dry with clean towel before cutting them for processing/boiling/whatever.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 05-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
redshift76
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I've brewed a mango IPA a couple times. I add 5 lbs frozen Dole mango chunks to a large nylon bag weighted down with a couple big stainless steel bearings. Drop this into ferm bucket, rack beer from primary on top.

Fruit addition kicks off a 2nd ferment so I usually let this go for a week, add dry hop addition for 4 days then bottle/keg.

5 lbs of mango gives a SUBTLE flavor addition and does dry the beer out some.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
Einherjar
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 48

If you're going to add to secondary, I personally wouldn't bother with pasteurizing. As redshift says the flavor imparted is extremely subtle and even pasteurizing could drive a lot of it out. I make a mango habanero hefeweizen by racking onto chunks of whole mangos I cut up, froze, and thawed. Done it four times now and no infections from the mango The pH and alcohol content make the beer pretty resistant to the bugs.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Gunfighter04
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Orange peel is the only fruit addition I'll do at the end of the boil or in the primary. Anything I've done that I want to impart the direct flavor of the fruit into the beer goes in the secondary, or after fermentation has slowed in the primary. Usually enough alcohol has built up into the beer to ward off any infection, plus IMHO, you don't have to leave it in there for weeks to impart the flavor, only a couple days.

Now for my off topic part.

In the first gulf war, we'd get deliveries of this small 6oz fruit drinks. Apple, orange, etc. We were pretty far forward and one of the last to get deliveries. Evidently Mango was an unpopular flavor because it would be just about the only option we got. Most of the time it had been sitting in the 120º sun for a while. To this day I can't handle the smell or taste of Mango. But if we all liked the same thing it'd be a boring world.

WOODY: Hey, Mr. Peterson, there's a cold one waiting for you.
NORM: I know. If she calls, I'm not here.

Keg1: Scotch Ale
Keg2: Nut Brown
Bottled: Cider
Primary: Belgian Strong

Old 05-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
redshift76
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter04 View Post
Orange peel is the only fruit addition I'll do at the end of the boil or in the primary. Anything I've done that I want to impart the direct flavor of the fruit into the beer goes in the secondary, or after fermentation has slowed in the primary. Usually enough alcohol has built up into the beer to ward off any infection, plus IMHO, you don't have to leave it in there for weeks to impart the flavor, only a couple days.

Now for my off topic part.

In the first gulf war, we'd get deliveries of this small 6oz fruit drinks. Apple, orange, etc. We were pretty far forward and one of the last to get deliveries. Evidently Mango was an unpopular flavor because it would be just about the only option we got. Most of the time it had been sitting in the 120º sun for a while. To this day I can't handle the smell or taste of Mango. But if we all liked the same thing it'd be a boring world.
I go a week + on fruit because of the 2nd ferment, not for the flavor. As another member posted in another thread "If you add a decent amount of fruit, you are also adding a decent amount of simple sugars. The yeast in the beer are just looking for fresh food, and they go crazy when they get it."

Old 05-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
jeff17
Recipes 

I just finished a mango/jalapeno kolsch style. I used about 1lb per gallon and think I could have bumped that up about 30 percent. I used fresh mangoes that I pureed with a small amount of vodka.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #8
kef300
Recipes 

Likes Given: 37

Thanks guys. Now I was planning to add it in a nylon bag to keep some of the mango sediment and pieces off the final beer. Is it necessary to weigh the bag down. Won't the liquid itself seep out of the bag and around the beer?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:24 AM   #9
DesignatedDrinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kef300 View Post
Thanks guys. Now I was planning to add it in a nylon bag to keep some of the mango sediment and pieces off the final beer. Is it necessary to weigh the bag down. Won't the liquid itself seep out of the bag and around the beer?

I have done a Mango Pale a few times, a recipe from my brothers brewery. Although they use fresh mango I just add 5lbs of Dole cubed frozen mango straight in the secondary, no bag, just add it frozen right in there. Adding it frozen also semi-cold crashes it down to mid 50's and drops a little yeast. Let it sit for 7 days or until the the krausen from the second fermentation goes away. cold crash, then siphon. If you cant cold crash try gelatin. If you cant do either, no big deal, you'll just have a bit more yeast in the final beer then normal, as in most fruit beers. But dont waste your time with a bag if using fresh or cubed mango, you wont get any in your bottle bucket or keg. If using puree then definitely use a bag.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
redshift76
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignatedDrinker View Post
I have done a Mango Pale a few times, a recipe from my brothers brewery. Although they use fresh mango I just add 5lbs of Dole cubed frozen mango straight in the secondary, no bag, just add it frozen right in there. Adding it frozen also semi-cold crashes it down to mid 50's and drops a little yeast. Let it sit for 7 days or until the the krausen from the second fermentation goes away. cold crash, then siphon. If you cant cold crash try gelatin. If you cant do either, no big deal, you'll just have a bit more yeast in the final beer then normal, as in most fruit beers. But dont waste your time with a bag if using fresh or cubed mango, you wont get any in your bottle bucket or keg. If using puree then definitely use a bag.
I only use the bag + weight to keep the fruit under the beer & away from air exposure. I'm probably being over-cautious but its worked well for me so far.

Quick Reply