Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > adjusting recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
cutarecord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default adjusting recipe

Hey guys,

About to embark on my first Partial Mash brew. From the way it seems it shouldn't be a huge step away from extract brewing. Just a small step toward all grain.

here is my question...

I'm brewing a Spring Pale Ale from a recipe and i believe i'm starting to get a grasp of how to adjust recipes for my own liking. This recipe calls for light brown sugar during the boil. 1/3 c to be exact. I was thinking of boosting this considerably to 1.25 lbs to add more fermentable sugars and up my ABV. I've read that light brown sugar will actual impart some flavor as well of fermentables. My question is: Is this a proper way to adjust my ABV without making my beer overpoweringly sweet? OR Should i start by adjusting the amount of malt extract and/or grain?

I don't mind making the beer a little sweeter but i just don't want it to tast like dessert.

I've included a pic of the BeerSmith read out with the original recipe and the second was with my boosted light brown sugar. That was the only thing changed

Thanks guys,
Mike

screen-shot-2012-02-10-1.34.50-pm.jpg   screen-shot-2012-02-10-1.36.14-pm.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
frankstoneline
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Lots of sugar will dry out the recipe (lower FG) and brown sugar will impart a bit of color and a molasses flavor. I would suggest increasing ABV via malt adjustment.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
dkennedy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankstoneline View Post
Lots of sugar will dry out the recipe (lower FG) and brown sugar will impart a bit of color and a molasses flavor. I would suggest increasing ABV via malt adjustment.
+1, I would up the Pale and/or DME, hold the brown sugar to 4 oz or less (If it were me).

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
cutarecord
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys. I decided to pay a visit to my supply guy and up the malt extract to 6 lbs. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Quick Reply