adjusting recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutarecord

Reaction score
Hey guys,

About to embark on my first Partial Mash brew. From the way it seems it shouldn't be a huge step away from extract brewing. Just a small step toward all grain.

here is my question...

I'm brewing a Spring Pale Ale from a recipe and i believe i'm starting to get a grasp of how to adjust recipes for my own liking. This recipe calls for light brown sugar during the boil. 1/3 c to be exact. I was thinking of boosting this considerably to 1.25 lbs to add more fermentable sugars and up my ABV. I've read that light brown sugar will actual impart some flavor as well of fermentables. My question is: Is this a proper way to adjust my ABV without making my beer overpoweringly sweet? OR Should i start by adjusting the amount of malt extract and/or grain?

I don't mind making the beer a little sweeter but i just don't want it to tast like dessert.

I've included a pic of the BeerSmith read out with the original recipe and the second was with my boosted light brown sugar. That was the only thing changed

Thanks guys,
Mike

Screen Shot 2012-02-10 at 1.34.50 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2012-02-10 at 1.36.14 PM.jpg

Lots of sugar will dry out the recipe (lower FG) and brown sugar will impart a bit of color and a molasses flavor. I would suggest increasing ABV via malt adjustment.

Lots of sugar will dry out the recipe (lower FG) and brown sugar will impart a bit of color and a molasses flavor. I would suggest increasing ABV via malt adjustment.

+1, I would up the Pale and/or DME, hold the brown sugar to 4 oz or less (If it were me).

Good luck! :mug:

Thanks for the tips guys. I decided to pay a visit to my supply guy and up the malt extract to 6 lbs. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Back