Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Adjusting grain bill to gain efficiency...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
chaydaw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Adjusting grain bill to gain efficiency...

I get my grains from my LHBS pre crushed but am hard pressed to get an efficiency above 65-68. I think my methods are sound so I am going to try to add some grains to offset the crush. My question is should I just increase all ingredients some fixed amount? If so what might that amount be so I could up my efficiency about 10%. Thanks so much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Brewenstein
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would just increase the base grain. I brew 6 gallon batches, and when I take a recipe from HBT that is for 5 - 5.5 gallons, that is the only grain that I will change. Don't forget that some specialty grains will not provide as fermentable sugars to the wort. Adding a pound of so of base grain should not affect the taste of the beer much - at least I doubt that I could tell.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Adding extra grains will increase your gravity, but not your efficiency.
Are you using some form of brewing software? If so, you should be able to set the efficiency to what you get, and the software will predict the OG for a given volume and grain bill.
If you want to increase your OG by 10%, then increasing the base malt by 10% should get you pretty close (assuming you are doing all grain).

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply